Thread: Autodesk Education Community - Requirements

Login to Give a bone

Default Autodesk Education Community - Requirements

I have recently signed up to the Autodesk Education Community website for personal use at home and I am currently working through the BIM Curriculum.

Question is - a lot of people in my office are asking can they use this educational material and free autodesk software to learn BIM and Revit in the office. They want to download the free Autodesk software for education, install it on their work PC's and learn BIM and Revit in the office.

Does anyone know if this is allowed under the terms of the education community?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Autodesk Education Community - Requirements

Read the license agreement, but most likely installing edu software on a company machine would be a firing offense. The inevitable result would be infecting business files with the EDU 'virus'.

If the sin up themselves, they can install on home PCs. but keep it out of the office.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Read the license agreement, but most likely installing edu software on a company machine would be a firing offense. The inevitable result would be infecting business files with the EDU 'virus'.

If the sin up themselves, they can install on home PCs. but keep it out of the office.
    They need to be a student and need an .edu email address to sign up. If they're using someone else's login credentials, I'd say that's pretty darned wrong, too.

Terms of use from the site:
    To participate in the Autodesk Education Community, you must agree to and comply with the applicable Terms of Use and also satisfy the following eligibility requirements. You must be one of the following: (a) a faculty member; or (b) a student; or (c) an Autodesk Assistance Program participant.

A faculty member is an employee at a primary or secondary educational institution or any degree-granting or certificate-granting educational institution or any learning, teaching or training facilities and who upon request by Autodesk is able to provide proof of such status.

A student is an individual enrolled at a recognized degree-granting or certificate-granting educational institution for three (3) or more credit hours in a degree-granting or certificate granting education program or in a nine (9) month or longer certificate program, and upon request by Autodesk is able to provide proof of such enrollment.

An Autodesk Assistance Program participant is either a veteran or unemployed individual who has (a) previously worked in the architecture, engineering, design or manufacturing industries, has completed the online registration for the Autodesk Assistance Program, and upon request by Autodesk is able to provide proof of eligibility for that program.
    I can't remember my password right now to log in and read any further restrictions... all of that information is saved on my home pc.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the replies.

I thought as much, seem to remember reading those very same terms of use now come to mention it.

I'll tell them they need to enroll at college if they want to participate.
    Funny thing is, the 2 graduate engineers that asked me about it have just finished their degree's only a few months ago and are no longer in education!!!