Thread: phasing

Wish List Administration

Default phasing

Summary: phasing

Description: phasing tools like revit. turn objects on and off and store in a list what is on or off.
    Zo I can creat phasings.

Product and Feature: AutoCAD - 3D

Submitted By: averdam891615 on 12/03/2015

Default Re: phasing

I'm not familiar with Revit's phasing tools, but why not just create each phase in their own drawing for use as XREF?

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Good idea I suppose... but this is easily achieved in AutoCAD by simply using a good layer naming convention and layer states, and layer filters.
    (BB, Revit has phasing that you create the phases and the order of what happens next. For instance "demolition" comes before "new work", and so you have the phase "new work" active, "demolition" will not be visible.)

yes, I want draw all objects in one model like revit. The phasing tool must make objects visible or not. Zo I can quick change between the phasing.
    Working with xref is a workaround, it is al lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by averdam891615 View Post
    yes, I want draw all objects in one model like revit. The phasing tool must make objects visible or not. Zo I can quick change between the phasing.
    Working with xref is a workaround, it is al lot of work.
    Yes I understand what you're saying, and my suggestion is still viable.
    If you model everything in one file, and place items on named layers like "COMMON", "PHASE-1", "PHASE-2", (just examples), then you can simply create named layer states where those layers are frozen or not.

Then you can create and name layer states like "DEMOLITION", "NEW WORK" and "COMPLETE" (examples)
    Then simply activate those layer states as you need them.

Also, you can change layer properties per layer state such as lineweight, line type etc.

This is really not much extra work for what you're trying to achieve in AutoCAD.

Thanks for clarifying, tedg

This _does_ sound like it would be useful, particularly for a seven phase subdivision I'm designing in Civil 3D now. Grrrr

For current AutoCAD capability, you've outlined the best option for accomplishing this (while we wait for Autodesk), and essentially what I do now... Using XREF/DREF would still be a requirement for my work in Civil 3D, as the drawings simply become too large, and too slow to work on let alone plot when you're under a tight deadline... Frankly, many Civil 3D users are resorting to export their Civil 3D models (intelligent/dynamic) to AutoCAD (dumb?) drawings _just_ to speed up printing, but that's a slight deviation from the topic at hand better left for another thread. Haha

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Hi Ted,

Working with layer is complex. I want toe select object (blocks) with more layers in it. some block must on in phasing 1 and 2 on off in phasing 3

Keeping everything is a single DWG is a recipe for losing everything when/if the drawing crashes, is corrupted, or for whatever reason is inaccessible. Using multiple files may seem like more work, but planning and thinking through the process (and pitfalls) will work. Having a 'phase' attribute assigned to each entity & object in addition to the layer property adds quite a bit of complexity that's nit needed.