See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: developing Tool Palettes

Login to Give a bone

Default developing Tool Palettes

CAD: D.309.0.0, AutoCAD 2010 - English Version 3

I am developing tool palettes for the office. For all users, the files are stored on a network drive. For all users, the pointer in Options > Tool Palettes File Locations points to that network location.

For my development effort, I have copied the user files to another network location and reset my Tool Palettes File Locations pointer to that development location. This maintained separation from the user files and my development files. When ready, I just switched the value for the pointer in Options > Tool Palettes File Locations for all the users and they had access to the newly developed tool palettes.

However... the user's tabs in the overall palette were not in the same order, deleted tabs still appeared, and buttons on tabs were not in the same order as they were on my version of the same tool palette. As you might guess, I expected the palettes I saw, based on the setting of my pointer, to be the exact palettes all users saw when setting their pointer to the same value. Likewise, to continue development, I copied all files back to the original location and reset my pointer to that original location. The newly relocated development palette does not contain buttons on a tab that was added in the previous development session.

What am I missing? Can you share ideas for the best file management strategy for these tool palette files?

Thanks so much - chris

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: developing Tool Palettes

When sharing palettes the order is based on the order the palettes and tools were created. If you change the order after they are created other users will not see that change in a shared palette. The fix is easy; although it may be time consuming. Make a new palette, the one you want to be first. Then drag the tools from the old palette to the new one in the order you want them to be displayed.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jpaulsen View Post
    When sharing palettes the order is based on the order the palettes and tools were created. If you change the order after they are created other users will not see that change in a shared palette. The fix is easy; although it may be time consuming. Make a new palette, the one you want to be first. Then drag the tools from the old palette to the new one in the order you want them to be displayed.
    That is interesting. although it seems a bit primitive. I will surely give that a try. Thanks for the response! - chris

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by GOchrisgilmer491501 View Post
    That is interesting. although it seems a bit primitive.
    That is what I'm dealing with right now. With all of the "advancements" of AutoCAD, you would think that the Tool Palettes would evolve as well.

Login to Give a bone

Ribbon=cool, TP/=cool. program whose development is driven by marketers don't care about no-cool, even when the customers and users do.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

It has been a while since creating from scratch, but check out this post and it should help:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...g-blocks-order

Of other similar interest related:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...-Bar-to-others

Be sure to read all of the thread, let me know if this helps

By the way, when I am updating TPs, I no longer use the Xml notepad as it became difficult to get the IT guy to keep it loaded which was the only was I was able to keep the tabs in the order I wanted.... SO create it the way you want it (as far as tabs go) or rebuild it.... as far as items on the tabs themselves, I have been successful in simple cut (to the clipboard) of everthing below where I want the new block, add the new block on the TP tab that I want then paste (from the clipboard) the items I just removed.
    Last edited by derek.96018; 2012-10-05 at 10:33 PM.

Login to Give a bone

I think I have found some good info on this:

http://au.autodesk.com/au-online/cla...0856#chapter=0

There are .pdf file downloads available.

- chris