Thread: Possible to use CAD pipe centerlines (.dwg) to aid w/ Revit Pipe/Duct drafting?

Login to Give a bone

Arrow Possible to use CAD pipe centerlines (.dwg) to aid w/ Revit Pipe/Duct drafting?

The situation is we searching for an efficient way to convert pointclouds of extensive MEP equipment, piping & ducting into a functional revit model. There are several ways to import pointclouds into Revit, however at current the available plugin's "fit to pipe/duct" tool leaves alot to be desired. This leaves us creating piping runs manually "fitting" them into the space that is occupied by the pointcloud.

However, we do have a process that will let us easily convert the pointcloud data into a 3D autocad .dwg format. From there we are able to explode the cad file leaving just the just the centerline of the piping.

I've attached a screenshot, the single lines, in blue are the pipe centerlines brought in via a linked cad file. They are occupying the correct x,y,z axis. I am justunable to snap to the imported line while using the pipe or duct drafting tools.

Am I missing a step, or is this something Revit just cannot do?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Possible to use CAD pipe centerlines (.dwg) to aid w/ Revit Pipe/Duct drafting?

What if you don't explode the 3D CAD file and insert it into a family of the Generic Model type instead. You may then load that family into an empty project file and place it at the right X,Y,Z.
    Then link that into your project file. This will allow you to properly cut sections thru the 3D CAD file, the View Range will also cut it correctly and will allow you to snap to it as well.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Possible to use CAD pipe centerlines (.dwg) to aid w/ Revit Pipe/Duct drafting?

Mvalencia - Thanks for the reply. Following those outlines I sucessfully brought the model lines into the project by linking a project that had the generic model family (containing the centerline cad file). I was able to snap to lines in plan view, but not in 3d view, or sections. However the lines were visable in these views. This left me starting the pipe at the correct elevation, but needing to approximate the end elevation by turning snaps off and guesstimating the mid point.

I attached a copy of the pipe centerline .dwg file I have been working with, the coordinates are correct. If you're able to take a look at the drawing & compare it to your usual process of importing lines I would be appreciative.

thanks again.
    Attached Files Attached Files