Thread: Door Family - Reporting Parameter - Wall Thickness; Revit Architecture 2013

Login to Give a bone

Default Door Family - Reporting Parameter - Wall Thickness; Revit Architecture 2013

Hey guys, having some trouble with creating a door family in Revit 2013. What I am trying to do is to use a reporting parameter for wall thickness so I can ultimately create a parameter (that references the wall thickness reporting parameter) for overall frame depth. The goal is to use the "round" operator in a formula to create a schedulable parameter for frame depth.

For instance. in a 4-7/8" wall, the standard frame size would be 5-3/4". This is a frame projection of 7/16" per side. However in a different wall thickness, this same frame projection won't give a nice even number for the frame depth. Thus, the reason I am trying to use the round command in a formula to round up to nearest 1/4".

I have the formula working nicely, but for some reason when I load the family into a project the reporting parameter for wall thickness isn't flexing with project wall geometry. I tried dimensioning to the wall faces in the family first, which works in the family but doesn't flex in the project. When I try dimensioning to the exterior and interior reference planes in the family, I get error messages about the reporting parameter not allowed to reference anything but host components in order to be used in a formula. I cannot figure out where I am going wrong.

To summarize:
    Where do you dimension to in the family in order to properly utilize an instance reporting parameter for wall type?

Secondarily, can you guys think of an easier/cleaner way to create a rounded (nearest 1/4" inch) frame depth parameter for the schedule? I am not sure my solution is the best and would be open to better ideas. My intention was to have this parameter NOT flex the geometry, but if it can be, all the better.

Thanks in advance.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Door Family - Reporting Parameter - Wall Thickness; Revit Architecture 2013

Place a dimension between the faces of the wall, in the door family. Turn that dimension into an instance/length/reporting parameter, such as "wall_thickness". Then make an instance/length/shared parameter, such as "Frame depth", that is equal to a formula, in which you can include "wall_thickness" and do what you need to do about the frame depth. Revit won't issue any error messages because "wall_thickness" is measuring only host elements in the family (the wall, which is the host). Then, in the project, you can use the value of "Frame depth", since it's shared, in a schedule.

About the rounding functions in Revit, I don't think you can do that. I understand they are made to return whole numbers, integers, not numbers with fractions.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Door Family - Reporting Parameter - Wall Thickness; Revit Architecture 2013

It should be to the wall geometry....perhaps you accidentally dimensioned to a reference plane that is aligned and locked to the wall face?

As for frame depth, I made mine an instance parameter, so that I can decide what width to use not based on wall depth. Not sure how you can make it automatically adjust to 1/4" increments though.

Edit: Alfredo beat me to it...with more info...go figure..
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

Login to Give a bone

Thanks guys. I just got it working. I was accidentally tying the dimension to the ref plane not the wall geometry. Once I got that straight it worked.

As far as the formula, you can have it round. For example, to have it round to nearest quarter inch, the formula is:

=round("Parameter"/.25")*.25", where Parameter is the other value you wish to have rounded.

My exact example was as follows:

Door Frame Depth =round((Wall Thickness + Frame Projection*2)/.25")*.25", where Wall Thickness is the reporting parameter tied to wall geometry, and Frame Projection was a parameter defining how far from face of wall the frame sticks out. If the frame geometry ends up being 5-7/8" based on wall thickness and projection parameter, then the calculated field for frame depth rounds up to 6". Hope this explains ok.

Thanks again!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Hey, I just tried your "rounding to quarters" formula, and yes, indeed, it turned a dimension that was entered (intentionally) as 2' 2 85/256" into 2' 2 1/4" . Nice. I did not know that we could "round" to fractions. Useful. Thanks for sharing.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Hey, I just tried your "rounding to quarters" formula, and yes, indeed, it turned a dimension that was entered (intentionally) as 2' 2 85/256" into 2' 2 1/4" . Nice. I did not know that we could "round" to fractions. Useful. Thanks for sharing.
    No problem. I actually can't take all the credit for that one. I found that on an Inventer forum and figured, why not give it a shot in Revit. Glad it worked. Also glad you found it helpful. Take care!

Login to Give a bone

This worked great for me thanks. Saved alot of time