Thread: Adding database info to objects in Map3d

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Adding database info to objects in Map3d

Hello, I manage the survey data for my company, and recently, we've been required to submit in GIS format. I've been submitting SHP files and corresponding other files by using mapexport command. Before I do this, I have very basic 3d lines and points. I originally spent a great deal of time creating object data tables using "define object data", and after I had a master drawing completed with the object data, I copy and pasted my survey lines and points into it, and assigned the object data using "Attach/Detach object data". Then in the properties box, the objects had all the blanks I needed to fill in for each object.

Everything works great until... They came out with new standards. Hundreds of new data tables I don't want to type in. They gave me an .mdb file with the tables set up. If I attached the mdb file using "attach data source", all of the tables come into the task pane, but I don't know how to assign them to my lines and points. If I use "attach object data" the tables aren't there for selection.

Please help.... Thanks,

Kyle

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adding database info to objects in Map3d

I advise you to automatically join those different shapefiles in an external Gis tool, e.g. the opensource Quantum.
    Maybe that kind of "surgery" is possible in Map, but it would be a very hard work, sir.

Login to Give a bone

My company owns a network license of arcmap. Is there a quick method I can follow to do this in arcmap? I've opened it maybe twice, no one in our company knows how to use it yet.

Login to Give a bone

Kyle,

You will need to attach the .mdb file in a different manner. The "Attach Data Source" option is what is called FDO and it accesses Geometry and Data in the attached file. There is a set of non-FDO tools that will allow you to attach the .mdb and use it just like Object Data:

-In the Task Pane in Map select the Map Explorer tab. You will see "Current Drawing" and several sub headings. "Data Sources" is what you want.
    -Open Windows Explorer and drag your .mdb file and drop it into the Data Sources Folder to connect it.
    -Double-click the table name you want to use under "Tables". This opens the "Data View" window.
    -Now you need to create a "Link Template" using the "Link" menu in the Data View and choosing "Define Link Template".
    -Check the Unique ID filed in your .mdb. There must be one unique field in the attached data source for Map to work, if not you will need to add it. Click OK.
    -Now you can simply right-click on the header of the row of data you want to attach to the object and choose "Link to Object(s)", then select the AutoCAD object and you are done.
    -To verify you can look at the Properties of the object and see the Object Data exists, or you can right click on the field in the Data View and choose "View Linked Object(s)", or you can turn on "Auto Highlight" and "Auto Zoom" in the Highlight menu of the Data View, this allows you to just select the data field in Data View and it will zoom to and highlight the attached object.

Let me know if this helps.

Login to Give a bone

Hmm.... Everything is working, until I try to link records to objects. I'm using C3d2010 by the way. I have access to 2011 but it freezes when I open it. I can fix if need be.

When I right click a table header in data view, Link to Objects isn't an option. It is an option under "Links", but it's grayed out. Maybe I'm not following the previous instruction correctly.
    "check the unique id filed in your .mdb", I check all the id's required for the job, give it a name, and click OK. Is that correct?

Login to Give a bone

I will post some screen captures in the morning!

Login to Give a bone

Kyle, in the Define Link Template dialog you will need to check only the Key field that has Unique Data in it like the attached image:

Define Link Template.JPG

Does that help?

Login to Give a bone

Sorry I haven't tried this, I was in a wedding. I gave it a shot, still no luck. Everything is working until I try to link to objects... This is my first time linking images in this forum, here goes:
    Augi2.jpg
    Civil3d 2010, set in appropriate coordinate system. Attached two MDB files. Opened comm_ductbank_line table. selected three columns for use, clicked OK.
    Augi1.jpg
    Right clicked "OBJECTID", no option to link records
    Augi3.jpg
    Under "Links", Link records to objects is grayed out.
    Augi4.jpg
    Tried the same thing in 2011. This time, I get a fat error about invalid workspace file format.
    Augi5.jpg
    I don't have access, but I linked to the mdb in excel and opened a table to see if there was anything out of the ordinary. Nope...

Any other ideas? Thank you for the help on this. The GIS analyst for the owner has tons more of these databases I may be required to use, so if I can figure this out, life is good...

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by kylejrausch View Post
    Any other ideas?
    You already were given an "other" idea (see post 2012-08-22, 08:23 AM) : Autocad Map/Civil are NOT the right tools to merge different shapefiles by common ID.
    You should use specialized free software, like the mentioned Qgis, period.

Login to Give a bone

Kyle the screen captures help. You don't seem to have any data in the table you are linking to. The linking occurs on a per row basis on the data. Do you have a table with data in it, should look like this:

DataViewLinktoObject.jpg

Novarese, Map3D has been my GIS lifeblood for the last 13 years. It is just as well suited at these types of tasks as any other GIS program out there, free or not. I have built entire GIS systems using Map3D as the tool of choice for ArcSDE, Oracle Spatial, and PostGRES back end environments. I will say, Autodesk has never really been able to promote the power of Map3D and it is usually lost in translation to the GIS world. There are hundred of GIS tools and process' built into Map3D and it is worth ones while to Google around to see them in action. I am also available to answer any questions you may have. It is truly the perfect GIS tool for AutoCAD folks (and everyone else in my humble opinion)!