Thread: No Time to fix a problem

All AUGI, all the time Liamnacuac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default No Time to fix a problem

OK, I don't have admin rights here, so I have to ask IT to create deployments for our two design suites and stand alone programs. The Building Design Suite was taking two days to install, if the user selected to start it in the morning! Add in IUnfratructure Design Suite and Navisworks, well, you almost would prefer to have a re-imaged machine. Almost.
    So, I got the guys to pair down some of the less useful programs from the deployments, and I asked for update and object enablers. But the enablers were not included. I am flat out of time to get these deployments to the design teams!
    Has anyone come up with a way to create a deployment or install file for the enablers? I was thinking a zip file, or an installable image, but the last thought seemed very unlikely, as images need to be the entire hard drive...

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: No Time to fix a problem

I do not have any experience with BDS, but I do have IDS; the latter only needs 30-60 mins, depending on version, and missing prerequisites. Two days suggests one or more major problems, perhaps with network latency?

The Suites are downloaded from your Autodesk Account portal (IDS is 4 parts), that must be extracted, before they can be installed. Once unpacked to C:\Autodesk, those extracted files can be moved to the network, and installed from there, or if in a single office, moved to USB drive and taken around yo each physical machine.

Installing from network, even if in the same office, will be slower than USB.

Without knowing more about your network topology, I can only venture the guess that your IT downloaded the multi-part files, but are having to unpack them over the network for each-and-every-single user machine (at the same time?); which is a horrible idea, BTW.

HTH
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Nope! you nailed it on the head. The latency is from silent load while running during the business day. 35Gb install package.
    But My question was with the enablers. We would like to be able to install a group of enablers in a pack instead of one at a time, because of this time issue.

Login to Give a bone

So,, was I given erroneous info? Enablers can be installed in deployments?

Login to Give a bone

Sorry for the delayed response; between deadlines, and an issue requiring that I uninstall all .NET/C++ libraries, and all versions of CAD, then reinstalling them all again (per Autodesk KB), I've been particularly absent from forums.

That said, once you run the installer (EXE), there should be an MSI in your Temp folder... That MSI *should* be able to scripted (i.e., batched).

Cheers
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000