Thread: Need some help with Rendering and Materials

Login to Give a bone

Default Need some help with Rendering and Materials

I posted here because this looks like the Forum that most people look at. Just a quick question I am using revit 7.0 and loaded up all the materials. I am adding materials to my walls walkways ectect. However when I render none of the materials show up I have done this before but on revit 6.0 and it seemed to work fine. I'm just wondering if I am missing a step or if some one could give me a simple walk through so I can get this going.

Thank you.

One more quick question would VIZ or any other rendering program be better what I am trying to do? Or should I just stick with Revit for that?
    Last edited by jakedanceparty; 2005-02-02 at 06:37 PM.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Need some help with Rendering and Materials

Quote Originally Posted by jakedanceparty
    I posted here because this looks like the Forum that most people look at
    A moderator moved this post here from the Coffee Without Cad forum. While quite a few people post there, it really belongs here in the Revit Forum in the Rendering sub forum. If you post a Revit question anywhere in the Revit Community Forums it will get seen and answered, I assure you!

Usually when materials don't render it has to do with the path(s) to the material library. Check the materials you have assigned to make sure that they are actually finding the material library.

Login to Give a bone

Regarding the Viz vs Revit Question... what are you trying to do. If you want a photo real rendering (or even something with a very refined style) you'll need to look beyond Revit. If you just want a study rendering and/or are good with photoshop (or similar) then you can get a lot done with a lot less effort sticking with Revit.

"Rock-n-Roll Architect" SCShell's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Hey there and welcome,
    The first thing I would check is your phase setting. If you have any "existing" and new items, then make sure you have "show complete" set as your phase. If you have "show all" or other setting, your existing materials tend to be grey only.
    Without anything else to go on, that is my best quess for now.
    Good luck
    Steve

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Remember in Revit you have two materials to assign. One is the "construction" drawing materials. Hatch patterns, etc. These can be named brick, mortar, metal stud whatever. However, just because you name a material brick, and give it a brick hatch pattern, it will not RENDER as brick unless it has a brick bitmap assigned to that material. So, when you create a material you must also be sure that in the same name description that an Accurender material has been assigned. If you do not assign a particular bit map or color to the material you have created - it will be blank and it normally will default to a grey color when you render.

If you have done this and it still does not render, then do as Steve has suggested and check your path for your materials in the Render path.