Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AutoCAD LT - Classic - Metric - Training

Login to Give a bone

Default AutoCAD LT - Classic - Metric - Training

Hi,
    This is a big ask!

Is there anyone out there that has any training material (Course) which they could be so kind and forward to me.

We have a new starter with zero CAD experience - He needs to be taught AutoCAD LT - Classic & Metric, but I have zero training material.
    I have been on the Autodesk website, but they only have tutorials with the ribbon and in imperial.

I appreciate this is a big ask of me, but ant material you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: AutoCAD LT - Classic - Metric - Training

The last time I tried to do that with someone who had zero drafting education or experience, and had never used CAD, it was the boss'es girlfriend's brother. An absolute waste of time and effort. Given that there are more capable people available, tell him to go to school and learn how to draw there.

Login to Give a bone

Love your attitude.

The new starter is straight from school - He has to start somewhere!

Bah Humbug!

Login to Give a bone

Straight from school in what? I can't imagine any drafting or design school today that doesn't at least expose students to CAD....

Login to Give a bone

Well, I did have the City & Guilds training materials from a few releases ago that you could have had but it looks like I've thrown them out in my last office clearance.
    Cadtag is right, though; do you know if this person even has any aptitude for engineering?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRobinson View Post
    Hi,
    This is a big ask!

Is there anyone out there that has any training material (Course) which they could be so kind and forward to me.

We have a new starter with zero CAD experience - He needs to be taught AutoCAD LT - Classic & Metric, but I have zero training material.
    I have been on the Autodesk website, but they only have tutorials with the ribbon and in imperial.

I appreciate this is a big ask of me, but ant material you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.
    AutoCAD: No Experience Required (author is Donnie Gladfelter) has all exercises in Metric and Imperial and covers the basics of the drafting and annotation tools, as well as elevations, sheet layout, etc.
    Melanie Stone
    @MistresDorkness

Archibus, FMS/FMInteract and AutoCAD Expert (I use BricsCAD, Revit, Tandem, and Planon, too)
    Technical Editor
    not all those who wander are lost

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Straight from school in what? I can't imagine any drafting or design school today that doesn't at least expose students to CAD....
    He is a new starter from high school - Zero experience in CAD or Engineering - He he about to embark on a college course for Engineering, which will involve a small amount of CAD.
    I want to teach him how to use CAD properly, so he does not pick-up bad habits.

Everybody has to start somewhere - Glad he doesn't work for you!

Login to Give a bone

He's probably happy not to be working here -- as frankly I don't have the time to bring someone from a skill level of zip to even marginal competence. You've got to figure in your time to train, and fix his fubars, so instead of adding anything to your production, he's simply going to cost your organization his salary, plus most of yours, plus whatever lost opportunity to be productive can't be pursued because you're holding his hand.

That's expensive, and not needed (unless there's some nepotism involved?)

Yeah, we all got out of high school and have to start somewhere -- but if he wants to get into design or drafting or engineering or architecture, he needs to (A) go to school for that and get educated, and (B) get some real world experience building things -- swinging a hammer, pushing a wheelbarrow, etc. Generally speaking, CAD geeks who have zero construction experience don't produce constructable drawings. (and that probably applies to the manufacturing world as well)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by cadtag View Post
    Generally speaking, CAD geeks who have zero construction experience don't produce constructable drawings. (and that probably applies to the manufacturing world as well)
    It certainly does.
    If you're telling someone to turn a part it helps if you have at least seen a lathe - and, preferably, to have worked one.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Actually, I would say *don't* get a starter book. Why? He's going to be graded on what is taught, not what is in that tutorial material (which may be contradictory to his chosen field). While the idea of trying to avoid the bad habits up front is laudible, it may only cause conflicts with what is actually taught. Not everything is done right, even some things which are done wrong are that way because its what the client (in this case, the instructor) wants. When he gets to the real world he will have a reasonable base for his future supervisors to work with and be expected to adapt to the new environment. The same process will be repeated as he changes projects, employers and perhaps even disciplines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast