Thread: FOUNDATION SLABS, SLAB EDGES AND FLOOR SLABS: VISIBILITY ISSUES

Login to Give a bone

Default FOUNDATION SLABS, SLAB EDGES AND FLOOR SLABS: VISIBILITY ISSUES

I've been working on a building with structural foundation slabs and structural slab edges. The Ground Floor Plan views correctly. When creating an Area Plan of the same Ground Floor level (either Gross Floor or Rentable) the slab edge is now incorrectly visible through the structural foundation slab. All view settings are the same (I think). The foundation slab is also now showing the concrete surface pattern in a light gray pen style in the Area Plan instead of the normal black pen style as in the Ground Floor view.

1. What setting in Area Plan is forcing structural slab visibility settings to change? It's as if it's being ghosted.
    2. Am I missing a basic understanding of structural foundation slabs or area plans?
    3. Are they not intended for use in Area Plans?
    4. Should I draft a normal floor over every foundation slab and then hide the slabs in Area Plan views?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: FOUNDATION SLABS, SLAB EDGES AND FLOOR SLABS: VISIBILITY ISSUES

Problem solved. If you have multiple levels when creating an area plan then Revit by default, at least in my case, creates the area plan view with an Underlay. The Underlay option in the View Properties is automatically set to view the floor below. This "corrupts" the appearance of slabs as they are now displayed as transparent or ghosted. And it will corrupt your day trying to figure it out as is typical of most simple issues in Revit.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: FOUNDATION SLABS, SLAB EDGES AND FLOOR SLABS: VISIBILITY ISSUES

But the problem continues....Now when I go to add a room schedule to the view the color fill regions display below the foundation slab (structure/slab/foundation slab), not above unless the Foreground option is selected as the Color Scheme Location (in view properties). This is not true for a floor(Home/floor) place in the same plan view. All items are at the same level. This is one of the most complex Revit issues I've experienced so far. Is the Foundation slab the culprit? Or display settings? Or view depth?

Anyhow, I deleted the foundation slab (structure/slab/foundation slab) and redrew it as a structural floor (home/floor/structural floor). Color fill regions now behave and display as expected. An explanation of foundation slab properties and how or why they display/behave differently would be appreciated. Anyone...?