Thread: Layers

All AUGI, all the time Liamnacuac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Layers

I use to have a lisp routine that would build sets of layers if someone needed them. I broke the sets down by discipline and then also grouped them by type of job, i.e. if we did only mechanical work, it created only mechanical layers, or had both mechanical and electrical, etc.
    This lisp was a pain to maintain, only becasue it took awhile to decide which layers should be on there,updating colors and lintetypes and then I just got lazy and started leaving the unwanted layers and changed them to non plot and stated "Obsolete" in the description. This wasn't any good.
    What I would like to have layer keys, but I have more vanilla AutoCAD users than I do MEP users. This may change in the future, though. Is this the way to go, though? Should I put forth the effort to setup the layer keys if we don't use parts for 80 of my installs (our detailers use parts, but our designers and engineers don't)? is there a better way to control layer standards and drafting standards?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Layers

Templates for "nearly always used" and standards files for everything else. Seriously, .dws files help a ton with those "I don't want to clog up every single drawing with this but want it to be standardized when used" layers. Then, make sure your CAD Monkeys know they'll be summarily executed if they choose "ignore" on any layer other than XREF-related ones.

Edit to add: In addition to associating the standards (dws) file with all of your templates, make sure everyone knows where it is, and they can just use the Design Center to import any layers they need for a current project.

Login to Give a bone

I like to think very easy and there might be a more professional way, but that's how I manage layers: I built a couple of blocks containing points, one point for each layer, defining all the layer properties we need. So we don't need to have all our layers in every drawing and we can built the layers as needed with these blocks. You can use either Design Center or Tool Palettes as we do. We also have a layer key and tool palettes for all the drawing standards.

All AUGI, all the time Liamnacuac's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

After I wrote my question, I made some ribbon tools that make specific layers, but it does so one at a time. I totally agree with just setting both QNEW (drawing1) and Design Center to look at a template with all the layers on it. I don't know a drafter who doesn't purge at some point during his drawing. But the advantage of using the layer keys, is you control the way items are drawn, not the user. I don't quite understand the process though. I believe you can only draw based off of your palettes? I think I would not be able to control older users who infrequently draw, from using two letter commands to draw lines and shapes with (although I realize I could setup commands to use the layer keys), so it seems there would always be gaps that allow someone to draw on layer 0, or defpoints, or make their own layers, etc. Maybe the easiest and fastest way for me to control layers in both Acad and Acad MEP, is to make a button, a shortcut on both the ribbon and a tool palette, and a command to shortcut to Design center layers set up on template file. it still requires the user to make the layers, but at least I am providing them with the standard....

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Data files are inherently easier to keep up to date than code, so I have code (which changes infrequently) and feed it the appropriate data (which may change a lot) with layers or other settings. I also have hooks in the code so when blocks or other objects are inserted the hook is called, the layer is looked up from the data, and added/set current as needed. This is the same process used in most programs.

Its also easier to document data that is independant from code, as understanding (or even presence of) the code is unnecessary.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

You're talking about AutoCAD and AutoCAD MEP??? MEP is a whole other story, and shouldn't be messed with IMO. The Layer Keys in MEP out of the box are based on the AIA/NCS standards and are commonly used in the industry. If you start changing those to match your vanilla AutoCAD dwgs, you'll have a major uphill battle changing all of the MVparts. Doable, but a lot of work, and will need to be redone every time you upgrade versions.

As far as standardizing Layers in AutoCAD, set them up in a template DWT file for new files, or a DWG for existing files, or DWS as someone else said. One of the easiest ways to bring those into an existing dwg is to Insert the DWG file as a Block. Another easy way is using the Design Center and drag/drop.