Thread: Rev block and Creation Block standars

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Rev block and Creation Block standars

I am having a discussion with my team about the standard for changing of the date on the Date creation block of a title block when a revision has been made. Does anyone know what and where it would be in writing? I believe the Date creation block that is filled in when the drawing is created never changes. Any changes to the drawing will be reflected in the Rev block, including the rviewer and approver. Also, what constitutes the first letter "A" revision, the initial design or the first revision to the initial design? Please advise, thank you!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rev block and Creation Block standars

Bearing in mind that industries and companies are different, there is _no_ universal rule.

Date Creation is not something I would ever use on a title block here (civil and process work) There are dates that matter, the big one one is the contract date - when this particular job started. The second, probably more important date on a day-to-day basis, is the Issue Date, (and description). that defines when this set of drawings was issued, and what the intent of that issue was, whether agency review, client information, phase, bid, construction, etc. The least important date we typically use is the Plot Stamp - helpful internally, but should have no basis for anyone else.

As to what a revisions is, that's highly variable. The State DOT here states that "Revisons" only happen after the contract is let. for other non-DOT jobs, I'll generally only use "Revisions" after the Bid set goes out. eg everything that happens before then is part of the iterative design process and not a Revision of the drawing. There are times though that I'll inlcude a Revision number or letter to show a response to an agency review, in particular when I have to resubmit to the same agency.

Those however, all get scrubbed off the Bid Set, and what gets sent out to bid is the 'final design'. That's the legal contract document that everyone has to work with. After that, it takes a Change Order or RFI to amend anything -- even the littlest typo.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rev block and Creation Block standars

But, in engineering, the date created generally remains constant - as you suggest - and each revision is separately dated.

Revision `A' tells you there has been a revision; the original issue is not a revision - unless you have previously shown pre-release drawings outside of your office, in which case, Revision `A' is "RELEASE FOR PRODUCTION or FOR MANUFACTURE".