Thread: Help with door swing

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Help with door swing

Would someone please give me some guidance on how to get the door swing arc and door width to display correctly for various door widths in plan? The door symbolic lines displays incorrectly for each door width other than 3'-0".

Thanks Buyer
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Help with door swing

Hello Buyer,

To give you some good advice I had to look how I created the door families for my firm. For the door panel in plan, I created a 'Door' family, which consisted of detail lines and a few dimensions, and I nested that in to my Frame family (Main/Parent). I linked the dimension for the door width and the door panel thickness of that nested family to the parent family, so it would flex correctly. I also constrained the panel with an angle parameter. The 'Swing' is just an arc with dimension constraints back to the width. The ends of the arch are locked to the wall face & the nested detail line family. I found this was easier then trying to force everything to work in one family.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

What I would do....(and yes I did this, along with a lot of other people...) Go here to Steve Stafford's Blog...Download his door template file. While you can open up all the different door types, the one to be most aware of is the 2D Swing.rfa. You can nest this into your door frame family and link its parameters so that it adjusts with the host family.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Jeff,

Thanks for the help. Using your technique, I have sucessfully got the door width to flex properly as well as the swing arc. I can't seem to get the door to locate in the same position for different sizes. How do you constrain the corner of the door to position to the hinge side of the jamb for each instance?

Thanks Again
    Buyer

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Hello Buyer,

Are you having trouble with the symbolic line work or the 3D Panel? I have attached a few screen captures to help explain what I've done. Image 115 shows the symbolic line work family. You'll see that the origin point is the bottom corner of the door, not the center. In image 116, you'll see that the line work family is constrained to the reference planes, but also has the door angle parameter associated with it. What you're not seeing is the 3D door panel family, which is hidden in plan views. I actually have the mouse on top of the 3D panel family. In a single door family I have the 3d panel constrained to the center of the door opening. In double doors, I modified this approach, to make it flex properly. I control my door families primarily with Type Catalogs. Each catalog has over 200 options of door types/configurations that cover 80% of what we do at my firm.

I hope this helps,
    Jeff S.
    Attached Images Attached Images

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Jeff,

I am having trouble with the 2d symbolic lines. 3d door panel is fine. When I flex the model between a 2'-6" and a 3'-0" door, the symbolic llines that show the door in plan doesn't move with the door jamb. See attached. I would like to know how you got the symbolic lines to move and stay attached to the door jamb.

Thanks Buyer
    Attached Files Attached Files