Thread: Exporting and Displaying Survey Data on a Profile

Login to Give a bone

Default Exporting and Displaying Survey Data on a Profile

I work for a small coastal engineering firm and we're trying to make the switch from using both Terramodel and AutoCAD for our analysis and drawings to just using Civil 3D. We have all used AutoCAD for 10+ years but moving to Civil 3D has had its growing pains. We do quite a bit of beach profile surveying and would like to display this data in both plan and profile views. I have been able to create surfaces using the survey data and cut profiles through each transect but the profile displays the TIN'd data as opposed to the actual survey data points collected along the profile. Is it possible to display the actual topo data within +/- 15 ft of the alignment as opposed to the TIN data along the alignment. Additionally, is there a way in Civil 3D to export comma delimited files displaying distance from origin, elevation, and offset distance from alignment of the actual survey data? Both of these tasks are relatively easy to do in Terramodel but it is not clear how to do this Civil 3D. Thanks in advance for any help!

Civil Engineering Moderator MHultgren's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Exporting and Displaying Survey Data on a Profile

Hello brichmond353525,
    You can create "offset" alignments based on your original alignment and then sample the surface along those alignments and add those offsets to your profile grid.
    For the output file, look into creating a "Stakeout" report based on your alignment and the point group(s) you want exported.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Exporting and Displaying Survey Data on a Profile

Thanks Mark. Your suggestions got me going. To accomplish the export I created a report using the "Station Offset to Points" routine. Unfortunately the method for selecting points to be included for the report isn't too friendly (select/deselect all, or handpicking from a list of unsorted points to include). Are you aware of another method that would allow me to pick by points or point number or point group? Also, is there a way to create a custom report? What I need is distance along alignment, offset from alignment, and elevation.

As for using the offset alignments to display the actual survey data along the profile, I'm not familiar with how to "sample" along the alignments. I tried adding the two offset alignments to the profile grid but they are showing TIN'd data as well. I've been able to show the individual survey data points in the profile by utilizing the "Project Objects to Profile View" but would like a pline to connect each of these data points. Is there a way to automate the pline construction?