Thread: vertical cut in a wall

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Angry vertical cut in a wall

hey all,
    I have a 350 and on one side i have to cut a square out (to make it 310) going up vertically.
    I need step by step instruction as how to do it?\
    just saying create a profile and load it in won't help me at all.

dumb it down please.

cheers

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: vertical cut in a wall

wall with reveal.png
    are you trying to place reveal at face of wall like this image..?

Login to Give a bone

yes,
    please step by step please

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

This is outline of what we are going to do. make a new reveal profile family with parameters.
    load it into your project file. Learn how to apply reveal profile family to Revit Wall Reveal.
    Place reveal on wall, and then edit reveal.

Step #1: create new reveal profile family, from menu pick new family.
    From the select template dialog pick either profile-reveal or metric profile reveal.
    You should vert. reference line and crossing horiz. reference line at center, with text (wall face) at top and text (wall) to the right side of vert. reference line.
    The default name for new family is family1 with is not very useful or descriptive.
    Save this new family giving it new name and folder location, to help you find and reuse again.

Step #2: to make this new family. pick line from menu. from the draw menu, pick the rectangle sketch tool.
    now pick one point on the vert. reference line above the horiz. reference line, and next point below the horiz. reference line and to the right of the vert. reference line. this rectangle does not need to be exact dimensions, we will add dimension parameters in next step.

Step #3: using aligned dimension tool,1st pick bottom of rectangle, 2nd pick the horiz. reference line, 3rd pick top of rectangle, 4th pick out in space to the right, to close dimension run and place dimension location.

Step #4: pick modify, then select dimension that you just placed, you should see EQ with slash thru. pick this on screen.
    both dimension values should change to EQ, and the rectangle top and bottom lengths will be equal.

Step #5: start another aligned dimension, 1st pick bottom of rectangle, 2nd pick top of rectangle, 3rd pick to the left to place dimension on other side.

Step #6: pick modify, the select this last dimension, look at top of screen for Label:<None>,pick this dropdown and select <Add parameter>.
    you will see popup Parameter Properties box. find blank Name: box, and type in Width, then pick OK.
    the dimension will change and show Width= and the dimension value.

Step #7: start another aligned dimension, 1st pick left side of rectangle, 2nd pick right side of rectangle, 3rd pick above top of rectangle
    to place dimension.

Step #8: pick modify, the select this last dimension, look at top of screen for Label:<None>,pick this dropdown and select <Add parameter>.
    you will see popup Parameter Properties box. find blank Name: box, and type in Depth, then pick OK.
    the dimension will change and show Depth= and the dimension value.

Step #9: from the Properties menu, pick Family Types, under family types on the right pick new, change Type1 to another name using something
    that will be more descriptive for the reveal profile dimensions you plan to use. Now change the Width and Depth values to what dimensions you need.
    the pick Apply. If you need more reveals with different dimensions add additional Types by picking New Family Types and changing the dimension values.
    and pick Apply after creating each one, the pick OK to finish.

Step #10: Save your new reveal family to store your work, if you have your Revit project open, you can pick Load into Project icon.
    or you can use Load Family to load new reveal profile family into Project.

Step #11: In you Project go to elevation view of wall that you want to add reveal to. Under the Wall icon pick the Reveal icon. Reveal will be shown in the Properties sidebar. pick Edit Type, now pick duplicate, change the name to something more descriptive similar to the reveal profile family that you made.
    look for the profile line using the dropdown change from default to the name of the reveal profile family you made. then pick OK.

Step #12: now pick the dropdown in the Properties sidebar, and pick the Reveal Family that you just made. now you are ready to place a reveal.
    but first look at placement tab, pick vertical to place vertical reveal. move pointer to wall and place reveal. the reveal will extend full wall height.
    now pick modify and pick reveal, you can use temporary dimensions to move reveal to move accurate location, to change top or bottom of reveal.
    pick reveal and grab a grip and drag to change. you can use the modify align tool also to adjust location or height of reveal.