Thread: Rotate Project North not working with detail items

Login to Give a bone

Default Rotate Project North not working with detail items

After reviewing other posts and Autodesks web site, it looks like rotate project north is really usefull prior to detailing a building. Once you get sections cut and noted, you're dead in the water. I have mutliple wall sections cut on a project and when I try to rotate the project north 90degrees it pops a error that can not be ignored saying "cannot rotate element into this position". When I expand the error, it is referenceing detail items dropped on the wall sections. I'm attempting to do this because of the annotation on the plan views. The views on the sheets were rotated 90degrees to allow a large floor plan to fit on the sheet, but the annotation is not rotating to remain readable, despite that option being checked in the parameters. One thought was to just roate the whole model 90degrees, but I'm working with consultants on this projec and I'm not sure what it would do to them. I discovered the rotate project north command, but I guess it's not going to cut it.

Any clever thoughts?

Is it possible to save the project under another name, erase all the items in the section in the current project, rotate the project north and copy clip the annotation/ detail items back on to the views I had set up?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Rotate Project North not working with detail items

I have enjoyed the exact same problem. Projects throw error messages when you try to rotate them.

Is this a bug? Or is there a way to do this that won't create the errors?

Login to Give a bone

This is a serious problem for us too. Someone set up project north incorrectly in the early phase of the project and it seems irreversible. Revit does not even allow you to ignore. the problems with the detail items.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

I know this post is a bit old, but I had the same problem today. The only it worked for me, was to unlink all the dwgs and erase all the sections containing 2d annotations. Then it was possible to rotate the project north. You do have to create again all the sections and cut and paste from a backup all the 2d annotations but at least the project north is well oriented. The problem really stems from cad drawings (and their coordinates) and the 2d annotations in the sections.

Hope this will help!