Thread: Another question about Photo callouts

I could stop if I wanted to Griff's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Another question about Photo callouts

We use a lot of photos in our design drawings for demolition but Revit doesn't have a good clean way to callout and reference the photo.

I posted a question a while back about Photo Callouts. Thanks to megan.bengtson and jsteinhauer I was able to use an elevation marker (Elevation Mark Body_Circle.rfa) to reference the drafting view where the photo is placed. That allowed me to have a smart callout for the photo detail which is important since we have dozens of photos.

Our customer doesn't like that the photo callout (elevation marker) has the photo number outside the bubble. So, I need to use the (Elevation Mark Body_NCS.rfa) and modify it to have the Photo Number above the line in the bubble. One issue I have is when I rotate the elevation maker the line rotates. Is there a way to not have the line rotate when I rotate the marker?

I've attached 3 images.
    1. image of Elevation Mark Body_Circle.rfa that we used in this package (the one the customer doesn't like).
    2. image of Elevation Mark Body_NCS.rfa, Problems are: the line rotates when the mark is rotated and the Photo Number text is still outside the bubble
    3. image of what I would like in a smart Photo Callout.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Another question about Photo callouts

Hi Dave,

Can you post your callout family? If might be as simple as reviewing the properties of the family to see if 'Rotate with Component' is checked.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Well Jeff thanks again for looking into this problem I'm having. I've attached the 'PHOTO Mark Body_NCS.rfa' file. I want to take the photo number off the arrow and put it above the line in the circle. The other think I'm trying to do is not have the line rotate when I click on the little rotate icon. I really need to get better and working with families. Thank you for any help you can give me
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Griff,

To get this to work the way you want, you may need to change the family type from elevation mark to callout heads. This is done in the family from the Modify Tab==>Properties Area==>Family Category and Parameters. I haven't done much of this myself, so hopefully someone else will chime in on how to modify your callout the way you want it.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the reply Jeff.
    Haven't been able to get it to work yet but I'm still working on it.
    Dave

Login to Give a bone

I know you can keep the text readable but I can't figure out how to keep the line from rotating when I rotate the callout. I would like to keep this callout an elevation mark because I've got so many in of these callouts in this project which are currently elevation marks and I'd just like to switchout the type of callout instead of changing and inputting the information again. Does anyone know how to rotate the elevation mark and not rotate the line thru the middle of the bubble?

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Do you care keeping the elevation view align?
    No matter what modify your family to have a single arrow and make it rotate as an instance parameter. Then rotate the elevation line if you care about the Revit elevation being properly placed.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks for all the replies. It appears that Revit does not allow you to rotate an Elevation callout and keep the horizontal line and text horizontal. What I ended up doing was taking a suggestion from David William Edwards that I found on the forums that talked about adding multiple pointers. This is still a band-aid fix and not the best option but for now it will work until Revit allows me to rotate an elevation symbol and keep the text and line horizontal, similar to a section. I've attached the Photo Body and Pointer if anyone would like to use it. Please feel free to modify it to make it better and share with others. I'd appreciate knowing if there are suggestions for making this Photo callout work better. Thanks again for the help.
    Griff
    Attached Files Attached Files