See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revit 2013 Electrical Panel Schedule Customization

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Revit 2013 Electrical Panel Schedule Customization

Attached is a image of the layout my company uses. Our layout isn't the typical layout for a panel schedule. I would like to be able to put the circuit numbers in the middle and the load values on the side. We use excel and place them onto CAD sheets typically. I wanted to match this layout in Revit but the templates don't seem to let me make that kind of layout. I know it can be done because I was given a previous project panel schedule in Revit to use for a 42 circuit panel and I transferred project standards for that and the layout was how I wanted it. Then I needed to make a 60 circuit panel and I changed the pole numbers but doing so pushed a lot of my values to the sides and placed load values into the middle and I couldn't edit its palcement or get rid of it. I've tinkered around with settings and I've looked on the web for similar cases but I just can't find an answer. Is this just the way it is in Revit now or am I just not seeing a setting somewhere? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit 2013 Electrical Panel Schedule Customization

Yeah. Welcome to Revit electrical. Unfortunately, AutoDesk is selling the product to architects. So there is literally no updates or support electrically. Revit electrical is abysmal at best. Hell they haven't even fixed the circuit numbering from 1,2,3 to 1,3,5. and that has been asked since Revit was introduced in 2004. Get used to hearing the word workaround.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

That's not much of a response, no suggestions just yeah "Revit sucks"...at least you feel better. I'm sure you could do better.

Electrical components, schedules and relationships are fussy as you've discovered. Each panel defines what type of schedule it uses, one or two column circuits across or down. Each panel schedule has plenty of its own settings. You probably received a warning when you tried to increase the number of # Pole breakers. Chances are your template is "Fixed to a constant value". The other option is "Variable based on maximum number of one-pole breakers". Once you adjust a template you have to Update the actual schedule with the new template alterations.

The easiest way for members to help is for you to post a small file here that contains the panel and schedule you'd like to use. Ideally it should a copy of the panel before it stopped working if you can acquire that one like you did before. There are so many variables that attempting to mimic your circumstances based on what your image shows alone is asking for a lot of time that can be saved with a attached file.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gadamson View Post
    Yeah. Welcome to Revit electrical. Unfortunately, AutoDesk is selling the product to architects. So there is literally no updates or support electrically. Revit electrical is abysmal at best. Hell they haven't even fixed the circuit numbering from 1,2,3 to 1,3,5. and that has been asked since Revit was introduced in 2004. Get used to hearing the word workaround.
    Shift drag all even numbered circuits, add space, cct as required.

Login to Give a bone

We've had to basically abandon automatic circuiting and panel schedules in revit because of all the "workarounds" required to make it work correctly (sort of). We have gone back to using our excel panel schedules and circuiting "old school". Unless you're just committed to being 100% revit, our experience is this is faster and more reliable until Autodesk better addresses the many circuiting and wiring issues with revit.

I'm not closed-minded on this and will try the two "workarounds" suggested below (please post if you have success with these), just very frustrated at Autodesk ignoring problems such as these that have been out there for nearly a decade.

Login to Give a bone

We are also having problems with the panel schedules. Could you perhaps explain briefly your process/workflow if you are using an excel panel schedule? Are you saying that you are circuiting via excel then manually assigning the circuit to the fixtures in revit? or do you have a way to import the excel information back into the revit file?

Also does anyone have any experience modifying the panel schedule to meet Australian standards for maximum demand factors

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by chris891540 View Post
    ...I'm not closed-minded on this and will try the two "workarounds" suggested below (please post if you have success with these), just very frustrated at Autodesk ignoring problems such as these that have been out there for nearly a decade...
    Nothing I wrote is a workaround, just how panels and their schedules are configured. Have any of you consulted with your reseller or been through a professionally guided implementation? Your profession is not trivial, why treat using new software as if it is?

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

You can create and edit the demand factors to reflect whatever value you want via the Manage tab>MEP Settings>Electrical Settings>Load Calculations. Once you have the demand factor names and values set how you need them, the schedules should reflect those values automatically.

I don't think there's any way to exchange data between Excel and Revit, but we haven't used an Excel panel schedule in years so they may have added it. I doubt it though.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mhennessey.202920 View Post
    ...Also does anyone have any experience modifying the panel schedule to meet Australian standards for maximum demand factors...
    Please forgive my North American bias. In what way are they different? Have you fully explored how they are defined in Revit. Like I mentioned earlier, providing an example (image or simple Revit file) is a great way to help other members to support your questions. Without them we have no idea what the particular problem might be. Yes, just saying "Australian" isn't sufficient. I know plenty and they don't all do things the same way, much like here in the USA.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by gadamson View Post
    I'm going to have to question you and folks like you. Without having no idea, and meaning no disrespect at all, how many people make these requests? I'm part of the AutoCAD Beta group, and nothing I bring up for ideas is supported because I'm the only one. I can only imagine Revit is being produced the same way: demand. Bottom line: Lets get everyone in our companies to go to the wishlist here, rank, vote and post new ones if need be. This is the only way we'll get our voices heard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast