Thread: Does anyone use Docking station?

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Does anyone use Docking station?

Can anyone explain exactly what it is? It's something that links all your electronic devices to your laptop with just one single USB 3.0 cable. ... but not sure how it really works. I'm thinking it must be useful for a two person office so we can share files more easily.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Does anyone use Docking station?

Well, first of all, there are a couple of different things that get called "docking stations." Some are for specific laptops, which have their own proprietary connector. Some are more "generic" and one or more standard connections -- such as USB -- for all or most of the connections. You can even "roll your own" with various cables and call it a docking station, if you wish. Generally, their main purpose is to make it quick and easy to connect peripherals to a laptop, such as a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. Basically, quickly converting a laptop to a desktop.

As useful as they are, I'm not quite sure how that would make file transfer any easier than without one. Sure, you might find some with built-in storage or the ability to add it on, but I'm not sure how that would be an improvement -- as far as file transfers go -- over a USB thumb drive.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Does anyone use Docking station?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefairy View Post
    Can anyone explain exactly what it is? It's something that links all your electronic devices to your laptop with just one single USB 3.0 cable. ... but not sure how it really works. I'm thinking it must be useful for a two person office so we can share files more easily.
    I have a guy setup with a couple of them, one for at work and one at home since he takes his laptop home everyday. Connecting one USB each day instead of 5 or 6 different cables is a lot easier. It's basically an extension of the back of a laptop. If you want to share files in a two person office you both need to be hooked up to a switch and be part of the same workgroup to share files.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"