Thread: Parameter Categories

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Parameter Categories

Does anyone know how to get shared parameters to change the catagory they fall under in the properties window? I go into the family editor, go into the family types window, go to modify, and change the group parameter under drop down, change the category, load the family into the project and the parameters still go under their old category. Then I go back into the family editor from the project and the category is wrong in the family again. Is there any way to get these parameters to show up in a custom fashion?

A direct example would be a feeder size that we have in a schedule that is just a text string. I would like this to show up in an "electrical" catagory but instead it keeps going back to the "text" category.

I've even used the parameter jerk tool to put them all under "electrical" but that didnt work.

Maybe this is something that was changed in 2013?

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parameter Categories

I know that's not something new - I encountered that in Revit 2012 as well. ...Trying to recall exactly what I did to correct that as I haven't seen that problem in a while. Perhaps while you have the Family open for editing, go back to the Project and rename that Family to prevent overwriting. Then load the family back in (after changing the parameter's Group) and see if it still gets screwed up.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

If the parameter is already in the project when you attempt to make the change, try deleting the shared parameter from the project under the "Manage" tab, then opening the family, making the change, and reloading it.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I tried to save as a different file name and change the category but no luck.....also went into the shared parameter list and the only options are for Name, Discipline, and Type of Parameter. Also we have been using these parameters throughout the company for a while and I've deleted one before then re-added it again and I needed to change the pareameter in all my schedules as it appears to have a unique "shared parameter id" if you would call it that.

It's odd that you can click on modify in the Family Types window in the family editor and set the "group parameter under" but when you are creating a new shared parameter there is no place to set this.... It just takes on wherever it thinks it should place it and now I can't seem to organize them.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I'm going to take a look at going into the "project parameters" to see if thats how it organizes it....

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

yeah if you go into the project parameters in the template and then add the shared parameters you want you can set the catagory in there for the properties window. I've been placing them as "instance" for the project parameters but I guess ill see how it responds if a family has that same shared parameter listed as a "type" parameter...

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

I think you have to delete the shared parameter out of the project and then redifine it with the new catagory in order to see the change.