Thread: Emergency!! CODE LEVEL ! HELP!!! Lighting fixture voltage change and keeping a circuit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Emergency!! CODE LEVEL ! HELP!!! Lighting fixture voltage change and keeping a circuit

I have a huge project with a few thousand light fixtures. Currently the customer wants them all at 347V. According to the electrical code, I cannot have a branch circuit that is exceeding 277V line to ground. Is there a way to change the connector voltage to 277V and keep the circuit intact? Then that would lend me the opportunity to re-direct the homeruns to a panel with the correct voltage.

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Emergency!! CODE LEVEL ! HELP!!! Lighting fixture voltage change and keeping a circuit

Hmm...I don't think you'll be able to change them without them being removed from the Circuit. But if anyone has a good method, just disregard my suggestion!

I would first create a Project Parameter (Integer/Instance) called "CircuitDeisgnator" or whatever. **see note below** Then create a Light Fixture Schedule sorted by Circuit Number (grouped) and include that Project Parameter as a filed. Manually enter the numeric value of the Circuit Number field into the "CircuitDesignator" field, pushing this value to all subsequent elements. Now do what you need to do to change the fixture's voltage, letting the circuits get disconnected. Afterwards, modify that schedule to be sorted by "CircuitDesignator", then select each line, and click 'Highlight in Model" on the ribbon. You'll be able to re-circuit the exact same elements in order.

**If multiple Panels are in play, you'll need another Project Parameter (Text Instance) for that. You can follow the same steps to mass-apply this parameter to all elements as well (sort by this parameter only) to label the circuit's original Panel.

Having said that, I have a questions for you, though - given that the Voltage for these fixture is changing so much, wouldn't that warrant some amount of conscious redesign work?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Emergency!! CODE LEVEL ! HELP!!! Lighting fixture voltage change and keeping a circuit

CADastrophe,

Thank you for the suggestion but that seems like just as much work as redoing it from scratch. My issue is not the work but the time frame. I am to go IFC in 9 calendar days. I am going to try tyour method on a detached from central copy of my project and see how it works. I was thinking that perhaps a Revit to excel and back add-in would let me change the voltage and the panel designation all at once but I have not heard back from that company yet. They are looking into my problem. If you have any other thoughts, please send them my way. I appreciate it very much.

All AUGI, all the time CADastrophe's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The only other way I can immediately think of is to cheat: Create a new voltage definition or modify the existing to allow for the circuits to connect to the new panel of the desired voltage and then change the voltage of the fixtures. That way, they shouldn't disconnect since they're still of a valid voltage. Afterward, you can eliminate or correct the voltage definition.

**I briefly tested this in moving three 277V lighting circuit to a 120/208V panel and it did work. If you need instruction, I will be back here on Monday. Good luck!