Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning to Share. Like Kindergarten All Over Again

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Learning to Share. Like Kindergarten All Over Again

Borrowed elements check box yes, user created worksets check box no.

Login to Give a bone

My office has been experiencing the same dilemma described by Titan. We have two large projects with 10+ active users each that get jammed up with ownership of sheets when synchronizing. I have been trying to narrow down the root cause and have several ideas, but no confirmed cause. Several thoughts are below.

Sheet Related:
    1. Keynote Schedules
    Cause: Editing a keynote that is already tagged on multiple sheets. A user updates the keynote within the keynote file, then reloads the keynote file. Since this keynote now wants to update on each sheet it occurs, other users are locked out.

2. Legend Views
    Cause: A legend that is placed on multiple sheets is updated and the user does not STC. All sheets that have this legend become owned by the legend editor.

View Related
    1. Items used by Multiple Views: View Templates
    Cause: One user updates a view template, other users are working on views with the view template.

2. Dependent Views
    Cause: One user changes view settings on a view that affects all other dependent views. This user does not STC.

The list above are simply speculations on my part, I have not had an opportunity to vet each one. This problem is significant for our team is the sheet related ownership issues, we have been unable to prevent this from reoccurring. Our team has had down times that have lasted over an hour where people are unable to work because we are trying to free ourselves from the ownership deadlock. I had not experienced this issue before Revit 2013.

Steve, your description of ownership is helpful and I am going to send it out to my team. The explanation of passing along ownership when granting an editing request was something I was unaware of. It explains why we have had users own elements while not being actively in their local. I would not recommend having an entire team use Workshare Monitor. We tried this and with 8 users we managed to clog so severely it affected all network traffic. The issue being that the Workshare monitor constantly pings for updates. Our Network administrators are reconfiguring part of the network specifically because of this issue.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Skellerman View Post
    ...I would not recommend having an entire team use Workshare Monitor. We tried this and with 8 users we managed to clog so severely it affected all network traffic. The issue being that the Workshare monitor constantly pings for updates...
    It is my understanding that Worksharing Monitor does not actively interact with the project file directly, rather it reviews data that Revit already updates in its "Project"_Backup and Revit_Temp folders. I've used WM with much larger teams. If you are experiencing issues it may be the Worksharing Display Update Frequency settings found in Options. That or people piling on with concurrent SwC. A couple people doing it at the same time isn't a big deal usually...but 10 at the same time. I imagine ten people asking me for directions to different places at the same time.

As for the other sharing issues. It is important to recognize when editing things will impact many elements and others. For example editing and reloading a titleblock affects everyone and many sheets. As you noted editing things that are on more than one sheet or editing a door schedule of all doors...same for room schedules. If ten people try to alter rooms while one person is trying to go through and renumber them...they are bound for some head butting. I always try to make choices about when some changes get applied. Take revising the titleblock for example. I'd prefer to do that at night so that everyone makes a new local in the morning and just inherits the change instead of making every user wait for all "their" titleblocks (their copies in their local file) to update during a Reload Latest.

Login to Give a bone

I directed my project team to stop using editing requests this week and we have eliminated the ownership/borrowing loop that Titan described in his initial posting. The fact that an editing request transfers ownership versus relinquishing to no specific user seems to be the heart of the issue. To complicate things further, Revit wants to transfer ownership in the order in which the editing requests were received. So if multiple people issue an editing request to the same user, those people must sync in the same order to stop the loop.

Steve, your description of worksharing monitor makes sense. We do not have any issues with working in the central file while using Workshare Monitor. It is our network itself that slows down (longer sync times, emails delayed, accessing other network files delayed) because of the frequency in which the workshare monitor accesses the files it "pings" to (maybe the wrong choice in words). I am struggling to clearly understand the relationship between the Worksharing Display Update Frequency and the Workshare Monitor. Does the Worksharing Display Update Frequency control the update frequency of the Workshare Monitor as well as worksharing display updates?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Skellerman
    ...Does the Worksharing Display Update Frequency control the update frequency of the Workshare Monitor as well as worksharing display updates?...
    I don't think so. It is for the Working Sharing Display option available in each view, on the View Control Shortcut Bar. If it is also affecting how often the data is made available to Worksharing Monitor I don't think that Autodesk has said so explicitly.

The fact that email is affected suggests to me that your server is being asked to do too much. Is it really serving project files as well as hosting your email distribution? If so I recommend that you use a separate server for project data. Data intensive applications like email and VOIP compete unfavorable with Revit and deserve their own servers to maximize performance for each of them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12