Thread: Sheet Metal Part Decomposition Procedure?

Login to Give a bone

Default Sheet Metal Part Decomposition Procedure?

Hi All,

This is an issue that we run into very very frequently...we're designing a bent shape that would be easier to make in multiple parts. When it comes down to actually making it, say for this square-to-round that I've attached, we want to do the part in two folded pieces. But, to go from the 'conceptual' single bent shape takes more time and effort than it would just to go out and bend the thing myself. This renders Inventor more or less just a cute toy and not very useful for making actual bent sheet metal shapes. WHERE IS SHEET-METAL MULTIBODY?!?!? (yes, I know it doesn't exist yet...that was just me typing out in vain..)

So, for say this otherwise simple square-to-round, what would be the best/quickest/easiest way to go about decomposing it into 2 separate halves with a nice lap joint? Thank you..
    Attached Files Attached Files

Manufacturing Moderator jonathan.landeros's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Sheet Metal Part Decomposition Procedure?

One way I think you could do it would be to "Convert to Standard Part" (on the model tab), then split the part into multiple bodies.

Then use make components to send the two halves into their own sheet metal parts. I did a 5 min test, and they unfolded fine.

Quote Originally Posted by whf View Post
    Hi All,

This is an issue that we run into very very frequently...we're designing a bent shape that would be easier to make in multiple parts. When it comes down to actually making it, say for this square-to-round that I've attached, we want to do the part in two folded pieces. But, to go from the 'conceptual' single bent shape takes more time and effort than it would just to go out and bend the thing myself. This renders Inventor more or less just a cute toy and not very useful for making actual bent sheet metal shapes. WHERE IS SHEET-METAL MULTIBODY?!?!? (yes, I know it doesn't exist yet...that was just me typing out in vain..)

So, for say this otherwise simple square-to-round, what would be the best/quickest/easiest way to go about decomposing it into 2 separate halves with a nice lap joint? Thank you..
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jonathan Landeros
    KETIV Technologies
    Orange County, California.

I've got a blog: www.inventor-tales.blogspot.com

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction.Next stop, Looneyville.” -Bob the Skull in the Dresden Files