Thread: Complex structural truss

Login to Give a bone

Default Complex structural truss

Hi,

I`m doing a project where I have to model a complex structural truss in glulam. The truss has been done in Tekla, but we have to do it in Revit.
    I`m sort of stuck on how to get going, and how I should do it. I also have to model all the connections with plates and bolts that join the top cord/ bottom cord and diagonals.

Anyone that can help me in the right direction?

See attached dwg for info.

Best regards
    Henning
    Attached Files Attached Files

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Complex structural truss

How is it going to be used in the Revit model? I'm going to guess that you won't be using Revit Structure to do any analysis because you have a Tekla model. If it is a one-off and just for visualization and having the correct shape(s) in all your drawings, then I'd do an in-place family. It looks like you can model most of it as swept blends.

Alternately, if you can't get the forms quite right, I'd ask for an SAT export from Tekla. Then you can simply import it into an in-place family and be done with it.

PS - I assume you understand the underlying geometry of the overall truss, each member, and the complex joints. The reason I ask is that if you are not going to simply import it, it would be a lot easier rebuilding it knowing dimensions, centerpoints, radii, etc. rather than just trying to "trace" the model you posted. As a quick test, I brought it into Rhino to clean it up and export as an SAT. Not knowing the geometry, I started with just trying to draw the top chord's curve and since it has been meshed, it isn't clear that the arcs I was drawing are the actual geometry. If you had centerline curves and the logic of the cross sections and joints, it would be a lot easier to model in any program, Revit, Rhino, whatever. Just a thought.
    Last edited by damon.sidel; 2012-11-13 at 07:05 PM.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Complex structural truss

Quote Originally Posted by damon.sidel View Post

Alternately, if you can't get the forms quite right, I'd ask for an SAT export from Tekla. Then you can simply import it into an in-place family and be done with it.
    The Export to Revit tool that is available in Tekla creates an .ifc file that will import with fairly accurate geometry to Revit.