Thread: Candidate Information: Wilcox, Scott

Default Candidate Information: Wilcox, Scott

Scott Wilcox.jpg

Candidate Statement:

I am a Current Board member, active AUGI member, and have been a moderator for more than 8 years on the AUGI forums. I have also sat on the AUGI Nominations and Elections Committee three times. As a Director, I have been working with other Board members in the Education and Training area of the AUGI Forums, primarily to evaluate the future of ATP, along with other possible training options. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

I have been a Board Member for almost two years; I am just completing my first term as an AUGI Director, and am comfortable with and understand the role, processes, and operations of the Board. I have a good rapport with the existing BOD, and feel that as a group, we have had a successful term. A lot has changed in the past 22 months, with minimal difficulty and impact to AUGI end users.

I see myself contributing primarily in 2 particular areas. As a current user, I still utilize AUGI to source and resource information and solutions for myself and the CAD group I support. This active connection helps me keep AUGI members in mind when considering actions by the Board.

While the vast majority of AUGI's users reside in the United States, we are definitely an international organization, and being from Canada helps me consider the Board's impact on international members.

As a member for more than 11 years, I care about AUGI; I believe in and support the direction of the current Board, and know that I can continue to participate and contribute in a meaningful way to the Board, and to AUGI. I should be selected to the Board so I can continue with the work already in progress to make AUGI even more valuable to its members.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by richard.binning; 2012-11-20 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Added Candidate Responses

Default Re: Candidate Information: Wilcox, Scott

1. What is your perception of the role of the Board of Directors?

Directors determine and set the goals and priorities of the organization, maintain oversight of the operations and products of AUGI (Forums, AUGI World, etc)

2. If elected to the Board of Directors, what are your personal goals over the next three years that require being on the Board in order to achieve them?

I feel it takes a while to get oriented and established as a director. After two years as a director, I now wish to participate on the initiatives the board have undertaken.

3. Do you have time to get more involved with additional AUGI volunteer activities beyond the Board of Directors?

Being a director for the past two years has been a challenge time-wise, but I managed to attend almost every meeting, even subbing in to record notes when required on a couple occasions. I will always try and help AUGI and its members when I can, but being a director and moderator puts me close to my volunteer limit for the time being.

4. What were your volunteer efforts completed within AUGI during 2012?

Most of my 2012 effort was as a director; I still try and participate in the forums when I have an opportunity. 2011 and 2012 saw AUGI regain control of its forum structure and content, and implement a new membership system that offers different features for members to choose from, with lots of end-user value in every option.

5. Please provide 3 reasons for wanting to join the AUGI Board of Directors and what you expect to gain from your service on the board?
    a.Continue the direction of the Board with another term as Director.
    b.Continue to help AUGI members
    c.I feel I have more to contribute, and am excited about the future of AUGI! I gain the shared success of AUGI, long-lasting friendships, and the reward of giving back to an organization that has helped me so much.

6. What top three AUGI programs do you think are most important to the membership and why? Can you describe a way to improve them?

1. Forums: the reason most of us are AUGI members,
    2. AUGI World: the insight into Autodesk products from the top pros., and
    3: The Annual AUGI Beer Bash at AU: I don't have a Local Chapter in my area, but I feel like AU and the AUGI Beer Bash is my face to face interaction with fellow users and AUGI members.

7. What area of AUGI needs attention immediately? If you are appointed to the Board of Directors, what would you encourage the Board to address right away?

The Forums are the face of the organization, and needs to be the focus of the Board. The forums are well developed, well run, and well utilized. The main focus of directors is to remember that the reason AUGI exists is for members to help one another.

8. What is your point of view on where you see AUGI in 5 years?

I see AUGI growing to more than 500,000 members, with even more users helping users, and AUGI also being a place for users to access more help and info than is available today.

9. What would you do to make the organization more successful in the eyes of the average member?

Share successes, such as membership milestones, and keep a high profile at events, like AU.

10. In what sectors do you have expertise or experience, examples include AEC, MFG, DEC (DV, M & E), CIVIL/GIS? Please describe.

I am a civil designer, using Civil 3D since 2007. I have been an earthworks tech since 1999, designing mostly earth dams and landfills. I have been designing subdivisions since 2006.