Thread: Candidate Information: Adams, Bill

Default Candidate Information: Adams, Bill

Bill_Adams.jpg

Candidate Statement:

Candidate Statement:

Empowering Community is in my blood. I have served AUGI during the period 2006-2011 as a member of the Board of Directors. I am dedicated to the goals that AUGI promotes: Peer to peer interaction, connections to Autodesk and sharing knowledge about Autodesk products.

I have served in varying roles on the AUGI Board of Directors as Secretary, Vice President, Local Chapters Manager, Nominations & Elections Committee Chairperson, Bylaws and Governance Committee Chairperson during this period.

I was heavily involved with the AutoCAD Users Group of SA, being their Webmaster for many years before becoming the inaugural chairperson of the South Australian Revit Users Group, the newsletter editor and chief blogger.

As principal of the multi-award winning Building Design and Consultancy firm –
    WJ ADAMS Building Designer, I have been in operation over 30 years covering all aspects of conventional and alternative building construction and energy analysis and assessments.

I have a long-term commitment to the environment, combining unique and practical design skills to produce an extensive portfolio of energy efficient and sustainable buildings.

I have also been heavily involved as an active life member with Building Designers Australia – SA Chapter in excess of 20 years, where I am currently serving as Immediate Past President. I have also served as a Director and Advisor on the national Building Designers Australia board.

In recent years, I have expanded my skillset to be a nationally accredited workplace trainer and assessor, and provide AEC Training and Implementation services for a local reseller, IMAGINiT Technologies.

I started with AutoCAD v13/14 in 1997, moved to Autodesk Architectural Desktop, and in 2002 I switched to Autodesk Revit Architecture. Motivated, enthusiastic and passionate, I am willing to share my knowledge and expertise about CAD with others.

Since joining AUGI in 2003 I have continued as the point of contact for my Local Chapter, have assisted other users in the Revit Forums, General Forums and assisted with several “behind the scenes” AUGI development projects. I continue to assist as a moderator in several technical and non-technical forum areas.

As a returning AUGI Director, I want to be involved in shaping the future of AUGI. Serving on the Board will allow me to continue to develop the organisational structure and superior program offerings that AUGI has become known for. I am devoted to fulfilling the vision of moving AUGI to the next level of online community and expanding our face-to-face efforts across the globe.
    Last edited by richard.binning; 2012-11-20 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Added Candidate Responses

Default Re: Candidate Information: Adams, Bill

1. What is your perception of the role of the Board of Directors?

The Board should provide outstanding and broad guidance and policy for the continued successful growth of AUGI with a keen eye toward the needs and desires of the overall membership. The Board, in its capacity to oversee AUGI should actively inspire its leaders & members alike & to ensure that the organization grows into the future.

2. If elected to the Board of Directors, what are your personal goals over the next three years that require being on the Board in order to achieve them?

If I am elected to the AUGI Board of Directors I will tirelessly strive to:
    • Being familiar with other boards and their procedures, I believe I have experience and success to assist the AUGI Board in its Governance Policies and Procedures
    • Assist the board in producing better communication procedures to its members
    • Support Local User Groups

3. Do you have time to get more involved with additional AUGI volunteer activities beyond the Board of Directors?

As a sole practitioner, my work hours are fully flexible thus enabling me to allocate time as needed

4. What were your volunteer efforts completed within AUGI during 2012?

• Moderating both Technical and non-technical areas of the AUGI Forums (on-going)
    • About to commence assisting in the AUGI Wish List administration (on-going)

5. Please provide 3 reasons for wanting to join the AUGI Board of Directors and what you expect to gain from your service on the board?

a. I believe it's an honor and privilege to serve on the AUGI Board. It is my way of giving back to the community at large. I volunteer to be involved, to learn new things, to meet new people. I am grateful to have this experience, to have met so many interesting people from all over the world, with different experiences, different outlooks. It never ceases to amaze me how vast our experiences are, yet how similar
    b. Help foster growth of AUGI membership and participation in forums and boost overall member volunteerism
    c. Help enhance AUGI’s standing, by combining my long held passion to see technology & design based industries not simply succeed but to be influential in the methods to become more sustainable business models

6. What top three AUGI programs do you think are most important to the membership and why? Can you describe a way to improve them?

1. AUGI Forums are considered to be the best throughout the design-based industries. I would like to:
    • Exploring the possibilities of further extending our reach through other forms of social media
    2. AUGI Wishlists are perhaps the most important of AUGI Programs to users. I would begin by:
    • Exploring the possibilities of improving the overall wishlist process & execution
    • Provide transparency into past/present items & status
    • Enhance the marketing of the lists & solutions in-line with all current media outlets

7. What area of AUGI needs attention immediately? If you are appointed to the Board of Directors, what would you encourage the Board to address right away?

Communication to members via the boards’ minutes – this is one area that constantly struggles in keeping members up to date with board events and discussions.

8. What is your point of view on where you see AUGI in 5 years?

AUGI will be a world leader in professional development areas by helping users help each other; used internationally, encouraging users to share experiences, which will lead to improvements in their product development.

9. What would you do to make the organization more successful in the eyes of the average member?

Refer to answer to question #7. Improve the communication protocols between the AUGI Board and its members

10. In what sectors do you have expertise or experience, examples include AEC, MFG, DEC (DV, M & E), CIVIL/GIS? Please describe.

AEC, BIM, Sustainable Design, I am an accredited Australian Energy Ratings Assessor (equivalent to the US LEEDS system) and workplace trainer / assessor.