Thread: Unable to delete or remove last Family type in family editor

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Unable to delete or remove last Family type in family editor

I am building some families for a project using catalog.
    In all of the families I am able to create types within the family and they delete all of them. However in one family I am forced to keep at least one type.
    I cannot figure out why this is? Does anyone have any ideas?

These files are being created in 2011.
    Thank you.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Unable to delete or remove last Family type in family editor

Could you start a new family from scratch and copy/paste your current one in without creating a type for it?
    Hard to explain how to get it out, some families let you delete them all out, some don't. Are these old models? In other words it may have some legacy objects that are "stored" in the family. More along the lines of "those types existed when the family was first created in a previous version," or some oddball revit rule.
    I believe in 2012 you can delete all the types out IF it was created initially from Revit 2012 and up. Anything opened in 2012 that was created in a prior version will not let you delete out the last type.
    I just tested this by opening a multi-type family that was created in 2011 and opened in 2012. Couldn't delete out all the types. Then I started a generic family from scratch, created Type1, Type2, Type3, and attached some quick properties to them, saved and then proceeded to delete them all out.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by rbcameron1 View Post
    Could you start a new family from scratch and copy/paste your current one in without creating a type for it?
    Hard to explain how to get it out, some families let you delete them all out, some don't. Are these old models? In other words it may have some legacy objects that are "stored" in the family. More along the lines of "those types existed when the family was first created in a previous version," or some oddball revit rule.
    I believe in 2012 you can delete all the types out IF it was created initially from Revit 2012 and up. Anything opened in 2012 that was created in a prior version will not let you delete out the last type.
    I just tested this by opening a multi-type family that was created in 2011 and opened in 2012. Couldn't delete out all the types. Then I started a generic family from scratch, created Type1, Type2, Type3, and attached some quick properties to them, saved and then proceeded to delete them all out.

yeah I noticed the same thing. Unfortunately they family is very complex and I cannot C/P without having to rework.
    No big deal, but its something learned.

Thank for the reply.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

If you load your family into a test project, you should be able to delete the remaining type in the project browser. Then open the family from the browser and save the now empty family.

Cheers,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

yes, but as soon as you try to load the family into a new project with the text file you get a "cant create type" error and the family does not work.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

The experience I've had is it creates a Type with the same name as the family being loaded. I have followed my suggested procedure many times to make the family as small as possible in my firm's content library. I then use a Type Catalog associated with the family to create my types when loading into a project. If there is an error when loading a family with out type in it, then there is probably something wrong with the family that should be fixed. Would you feel comfortable uploading the family in question to this thread, so that we can try to replicate this issue?

Thank you,
    Jeff S.

Login to Give a bone

unfortunately I cant at the moment. =(