Thread: Parasolids to ASD Profiles, other questions

Login to Give a bone

Question Parasolids to ASD Profiles, other questions

I am currently evaluating AutoCAD Structural Detailing 2013 for the company I work for, as we will be acquiring a robotic structural shape cutting machine which only uses DSTV files. After a few hours of working with ASD I have been able to successfully create some these files from parts created from the existing "profiles". However, I have some questions before giving a thumbs up to the purchase:

Concerning "profiles", while they look allot like the extruded structural shapes we have used in the past, they apparently are much more complicated entities. Does this mean that importation of any 3D modeled structure (parasolids, CATIA, NX, DXF) is useless other than as a reference to overlay new profile entities?

I have also been able cope profiles to fit together using the "machine" options, as well as insert holes using the "drill" function. However, I tried unsuccessfully to subtract a 3D modeled slotted hole shape from a profile I beam. What is the procedure to cut special contours?

I can find no explanation of the complicated layering system used. Do any exist?

I have been using the ASD on-line help and it seems very limited. I also have noticed allot of AUGI posts complaining of the lack of tutorials for this program, which is a shame because this is one of very few options at this time for creation of DSTV files needed to supply these robotic shape cutting machines. Has Autodesk or anyone else written any good tutorials for this program that I have not found yet?

Thanks to all for any advice.

Russ

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Parasolids to ASD Profiles, other questions

You can create Solids from imported 3D structure that will appear on the drawing. Also you can use the Extrude command, but I haven't worked with DSTV files to see if can be exported.

Special holes can created by using the "Cut by polyline" option. Search the forum because someone else had a question about special welding machining (or something simillar).

There were some movies about ASD, but very long time ago. The best and only manual is: "Getting started with ASD" and "ASD Steeel Detailing Manual", that are available on Autodesk Site or in the program. If you can't find them, I'll send them to you.
    For the moment, the best resources for learning ASD are forums, blogs and exercise....

Good luck.

Lucian.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks very much for the advice Lucian. I believe I found the documents you mention, and the cut with polyline funtion seems to work nicely for those special holes and contours.

Quote Originally Posted by lucis29 View Post
    You can create Solids from imported 3D structure that will appear on the drawing. Also you can use the Extrude command, but I haven't worked with DSTV files to see if can be exported.

Special holes can created by using the "Cut by polyline" option. Search the forum because someone else had a question about special welding machining (or something simillar).

There were some movies about ASD, but very long time ago. The best and only manual is: "Getting started with ASD" and "ASD Steeel Detailing Manual", that are available on Autodesk Site or in the program. If you can't find them, I'll send them to you.
    For the moment, the best resources for learning ASD are forums, blogs and exercise....

Good luck.

Lucian.

Login to Give a bone

If I use the DSTV export function option "Data exchange for steel construction" in ASD to export either a DSTV file or a CIS/2, either way the results are files with .stp extension, although they are formatted very differently if opened in notepad. If I then use the other option "Import (auto)" and select the previously exported .stp file, the imported profile is the correct length, but any holes or coping that was originally included are ignored completely. Is this function only for exporting unedited steel profiles, or am I missing a step somewhere. Also, if I attempt to use this function to import .stp files exported from another application (NX) I end up getting syntax errors, does anyone have any luck importing these files exported from non Autodesk products?

The attached image is of a part created in ASD Steel (green) and exported as CIS/2 (.stp) then the very same (.stp) file imported back in (blue).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rhutchi1; 2012-11-17 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Import Export image added