Thread: Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

Login to Give a bone

Default Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

Has anyone run into this error "File not saved." when trying to save a model as the central file? The weird thing is I can save or create a central file on my local drive with no error and can open the central file as a create new local file. The error happens when trying to save or create a central file on the server, weather it be a brand new central file setup or a functioning central file moved from the local drive to the server. Although the error happens it still saved the file with the correct date stamp. The problem is opening that central file on the server to select the option to create new local, because this option is grayed out and can not be selected. I can move that same file to my local drive and do a file save as and select the option to make a central model after save. I now can open that file and select to create new local. I'm not exactly sure weather it is a file security issue or an issue within Revit. I even logged in as the administrator and changed security on the folder and file to full control. I have tried everything I could think of and none has worked. Please help.

Jake

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

I think that this may be down to the length of the path file name been too long which is why it works on the local folder. If you had admin rights try renaming the folder structure or the Revit model name. Hope that this helps.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

Tried short file and folder names. Still does not work. "File not saved." error is still comming up.

Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

How are you mapping your server path?

Login to Give a bone

I mapped the server as a drive letter.

Example:

Drive letter E
    \\server\share

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jakevaj341980 View Post
    The problem is opening that central file on the server to select the option to create new local, because this option is grayed out and can not be selected. I can move that same file to my local drive and do a file save as and select the option to make a central model after save. I now can open that file and select to create new local.
    Jake
    This almost sounds like the file on the server has become a local copy somehow. At any time did the folder tree get renamed or moved to a new location on the server?

Login to Give a bone

To troubleshoot this issue. I created a folder on my local C: drive and shared the folder. I then create a central file in that folder. When I open the central file directly from the local C: drive, it gives me the option to open it as a local file. However, when I map that same shared folder with a drive letter and try to open the central file from that drive, it will not allow me to open it as a local file, because the option is grayed out. This is the issue that I've been having. As long as the file is pulled from a mapped drive letter, weather it be my local drive or a network drive, it will not allow me to open a central file as a local file. I don't know if this all makes sense, but I'm frustrated with this problem.
    Last edited by jakevaj341980; 2012-11-27 at 06:36 AM.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jakevaj341980 View Post
    To troubleshoot this issue. I created a folder on my local C: drive and shared the folder. I then create a central file in that folder. When I open the central file directly from the local C: drive, it gives me the option to open it as a local file. However, when I map that same shared folder with a drive letter and try to open the central file from that drive, it will not allow me to open it as a local file, because the option is grayed out. This is the issue that I've been having. As long as the file is pulled from a mapped drive letter, weather it be my local drive or a network drive, it will not allow me to open a central file as a local file. I don't know if this all makes sense, but I'm frustrated with this problem.

I have the same problem on REVIT 2016. have you ever find a solution to this?

thanks a lot for your answer

Login to Give a bone

Are you using Virtual PC's?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Please read this article

Disabling add-ins worked for me

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cafarchitects765383 View Post
    Please read this article

Disabling add-ins worked for me
    Sorry this is the article https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Revit-File-not-saved.html