Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    2012-11
    Posts
    4
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

    Has anyone run into this error "File not saved." when trying to save a model as the central file? The weird thing is I can save or create a central file on my local drive with no error and can open the central file as a create new local file. The error happens when trying to save or create a central file on the server, weather it be a brand new central file setup or a functioning central file moved from the local drive to the server. Although the error happens it still saved the file with the correct date stamp. The problem is opening that central file on the server to select the option to create new local, because this option is grayed out and can not be selected. I can move that same file to my local drive and do a file save as and select the option to make a central model after save. I now can open that file and select to create new local. I'm not exactly sure weather it is a file security issue or an issue within Revit. I even logged in as the administrator and changed security on the folder and file to full control. I have tried everything I could think of and none has worked. Please help.

    Jake

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    2006-08
    Posts
    3
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

    I think that this may be down to the length of the path file name been too long which is why it works on the local folder. If you had admin rights try renaming the folder structure or the Revit model name. Hope that this helps.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    2012-11
    Posts
    4
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

    Tried short file and folder names. Still does not work. "File not saved." error is still comming up.

  4. #4
    Certifiable AUGI Addict dhurtubise's Avatar
    Join Date
    2005-07
    Location
    Somewhere in the BIM world
    Posts
    3,792
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

    How are you mapping your server path?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    2012-11
    Posts
    4
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

    I mapped the server as a drive letter.

    Example:

    Drive letter E
    \\server\share

  6. #6
    All AUGI, all the time
    Join Date
    2004-08
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    631
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

    Quote Originally Posted by jakevaj341980 View Post
    The problem is opening that central file on the server to select the option to create new local, because this option is grayed out and can not be selected. I can move that same file to my local drive and do a file save as and select the option to make a central model after save. I now can open that file and select to create new local.
    Jake
    This almost sounds like the file on the server has become a local copy somehow. At any time did the folder tree get renamed or moved to a new location on the server?
    Jason Coe, Architect & Cadd/BIM Lead
    Beardsley architects + engineers
    Auburn, New York
    ____________________________________________
    "Nothing happens by chance and coincidence is when God wishes to remain anonymous"
    http://revitecture.blogspot.com

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    2012-11
    Posts
    4
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

    To troubleshoot this issue. I created a folder on my local C: drive and shared the folder. I then create a central file in that folder. When I open the central file directly from the local C: drive, it gives me the option to open it as a local file. However, when I map that same shared folder with a drive letter and try to open the central file from that drive, it will not allow me to open it as a local file, because the option is grayed out. This is the issue that I've been having. As long as the file is pulled from a mapped drive letter, weather it be my local drive or a network drive, it will not allow me to open a central file as a local file. I don't know if this all makes sense, but I'm frustrated with this problem.
    Last edited by jakevaj341980; 2012-11-27 at 06:36 AM.

  8. #8
    Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Join Date
    2015-04
    Posts
    1
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

    Quote Originally Posted by jakevaj341980 View Post
    To troubleshoot this issue. I created a folder on my local C: drive and shared the folder. I then create a central file in that folder. When I open the central file directly from the local C: drive, it gives me the option to open it as a local file. However, when I map that same shared folder with a drive letter and try to open the central file from that drive, it will not allow me to open it as a local file, because the option is grayed out. This is the issue that I've been having. As long as the file is pulled from a mapped drive letter, weather it be my local drive or a network drive, it will not allow me to open a central file as a local file. I don't know if this all makes sense, but I'm frustrated with this problem.

    I have the same problem on REVIT 2016. have you ever find a solution to this?

    thanks a lot for your answer

  9. #9
    Active Member
    Join Date
    2015-01
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    56
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

    Are you using Virtual PC's?

  10. #10
    Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Join Date
    2018-03
    Posts
    1
    Login to Give a bone
    0

    Default Re: Revit "File Not Saved" error when saving a central file on a server.

    Please read this article

    ...

    Disabling add-ins worked for me

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cafarchitects765383 View Post
    Please read this article

    ...

    Disabling add-ins worked for me
    Sorry this is the article https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Revit-File-not-saved.html

Similar Threads

  1. 2014: "Operation could not be completed" -> "File not saved"
    By Andre Voss in forum Revit - Worksharing/Worksets/Revit Server
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2014-02-21, 05:59 PM
  2. 2012: Problem with central and local file: "file not saved" error
    By drubinoff in forum Revit - Worksharing/Worksets/Revit Server
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2013-02-08, 01:50 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2012-05-11, 09:52 PM
  4. "Other Users have saved changes to the Central File"..Error Message
    By kmarquis in forum Revit - Worksharing/Worksets/Revit Server
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2011-04-05, 02:06 PM
  5. "An unknown error has occurred while accessing the central file"
    By mark_a in forum Revit - Worksharing/Worksets/Revit Server
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2004-09-17, 01:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •