See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #$&%! - why can't Autodesk at least provide at least the BASIC REVIT family in MEP?

Login to Give a bone

Default #$&%! - why can't Autodesk at least provide at least the BASIC REVIT family in MEP?

geeze how about something as rare as a wall mounted thermostat?
    The more I use REVIT the more I'm conviced AutoCAD is screwing all of us that purchased this software, it is no where near a finished usable product. Yet we foolishly and blindly follow them....

This is one un-productive peice of software. I'm about ready to send it back to Autodesk!

How long before we can do something a simple as placing a thermostat?
    Oval duct?
    etc. etc.
    etc.

If we're just Autodesk's BETA testers why don't thy provide this software FREE
    Would it be too much to ask for a written manual?

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: #$&%! - why can't Autodesk at least provide at least the BASIC REVIT family in MEP?

Two things;

Quote Originally Posted by wboyanton View Post
    I can't speak for MEP, but in Architecture a lot of the Autodesk content is next to useless, and it is missing a lot of things. This is to be expected as Autodesk can't satisfy everyone and their family standards.
    You're best to learn how to use the Family Editor and create your own. Something as simple as a thermostat shouldn't take long at all.
    While the product doesn't come with them, you can order free books online here. I like that they don't ship with them for two reasons.
    1. They can get the product out earlier and finish off the docs a little later.
    2. We really don't need a book for every single license in the company. It's a waste of paper and would end up throwing most of them out. In my office I have 2 copies that sit at my desk for all users to borrow when they like.

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Post Re: #$&%! - why can't Autodesk at least provide at least the BASIC REVIT family in MEP?

The more I use REVIT the more I'm conviced AutoCAD is screwing all of us that purchased this software, it is no where near a finished usable product. Yet we foolishly and blindly follow them....

This is one un-productive peice of software. I'm about ready to send it back to Autodesk!

Oval duct?
    etc. etc.
    etc.

If we're just Autodesk's BETA testers why don't thy provide this software FREE

well they did add some contents, all based on american market which looks totally strange.

If your a insert block - click click tracer, Revit MEP is not for you. You must learn to customize.

and Oval duct? which country use oval duct if I may ask.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: #$&%! - why can't Autodesk at least provide at least the BASIC REVIT family in MEP?

Quote Originally Posted by Beancud View Post
    Australia
    (isn't Queensland part of Australia, beancurd?)

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Beancud View Post
    It is used in the US.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Smith View Post
    Two things;

...While the product doesn't come with them, you can order free books online here....
    Unfortunately there is nothing available for Revit 2010 (any flavor), 3dsMax Design 2010, Ecotect 2010, Navisworks 2010....all of the software packages that we use.

Login to Give a bone

No, not yet, but they will show up soon'ish. Refer to my point 1.

Login to Give a bone

Even in AutoCAD, symbols were used for thermostats. Maybe an arc or spline to designate the corresponding zone, but they were just annotations.

Why not do the same in Revit?

Login to Give a bone

It has always been my advice to new users to get familiar with the family editor and the way families are created and constrained. If you do this, you will find that working in a Revit project is a lot easier.
    Even in AutoCAD, symbols were used for thermostats. Maybe an arc or spline to designate the corresponding zone, but they were just annotations.

Why not do the same in Revit?
    You can do this!

Just create a generic annotation family of your thermostat and add it to the project.
    Matthew Danowski, PE, LEED AP BD+C
    Project Electrical Engineer
    Baltimore, MD

All AUGI, all the time
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by mjdanowski View Post
    It has always been my advice to new users to get familiar with the family editor and the way families are created and constrained. If you do this, you will find that working in a Revit project is a lot easier.

You can do this!

Just create a generic annotation family of your thermostat and add it to the project.
    We've created a model element with a nested annotation for our thermostats. This way the thermostat is "really" in the model. When the Arch gets the MEP model, it is normal to open the MEP model and delete most of the MEP views, leaving just the model for coordination. As such, all components that are shown with annotation families simply do not exist in the model.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast