Thread: AUGI Training Program / AUGI Educational Programs

Default AUGI Training Program / AUGI Educational Programs

When asked to identify the three AUGI programs of greatest importance to the membership, not one candidate mentioned the AUGI Training Program (ATP) or any other AUGI Educational Program offering. Given the current state of the ATP (no new courses since January of 2010) and that fact that the only offering under the Education tab on the website is a link to Autodesk Authorized Training Centers, it is perhaps not surprising that no one considered Training/Education as a program of great importance to the membership. I would suggest that this would not have been the case four or five years ago.

Do any of the candidates feel that some type of formal training program has a place at AUGI, or is volunteer-based training a thing of the past?

Default Re: AUGI Training Program / AUGI Educational Programs

I agree that five years ago, ATP would be a priority. Today, the amount of training material available to the user is immense. Aside from Autodesk itself, which offers training via subscription membership and feature demonstration through it's blog network, there are many sources [blogs (both independent and corporate), youtube, ebooks] where users can access material today. It is extremely difficult for a volunteer organization to provide services equal to companies that are creating training as a business and practically giving it away.

There is still a place for volunteer training in AUGI, and the board has been working on developing it further, along with more current means to offer training to AUGI members.

Lets not re-invent the wheel, as my learned colleague, Scott Wilcox has mentioned there is a plethora of training material available. AUGI would be better suited to partner with other training provider to enable providing the very best service to its members.
    Cheers @blads
    Mac Geek | Building Design Suite 2020 | Semi-Retired Building Designer / CAD-BIM Trainer | Autodesk Certified Professional

The Silent Type

I believe AUGI would be a better source for answering questions and sharing information than providing training materials. Most questions are very specific and obscure, regular training materials would not cover these topics. I strongly feel we need to change the forums to platform much like Stackoverflow.com. Here individuals can ask questions and tag the question with keywords. An example of some keywords could include "Revit", "AEC", "Families", "Visibility" When other users search for answers to a similar questions they can easily find the question by using these keywords.

When an individual answers the question, other users can vote that the answer is a good or bad. The more good votes a user gets the stronger their reputation becomes. Different awards will be created for different accomplishments.

By creating a repository of questions and answers that are easily searchable, members will be able to find answers or ask questions to all of their problems.

I was a fan of the ATP and was sad to see it go away. However, it is difficult to "compete" in the training arena when anyone can post blogs or videos to YouTube or other such sites. AUGI's strength was always in the area of answering the immediate question. While the forums could be changed to some other format, I think that the current approach works well, especially when searched by Google or other searching tools. It is rare that I don't find a relevant AUGI post by search.

However, if enough of the membership expressed renewed interest in the ATP or some other form of training, I would be happy to champion it. I do feel that the ATP would need to reduce in concept from "training" to perhaps "tutorial" but it will be difficult to promote ATP in the face of YouTube or ATC programs.
    R. Robert Bell
    Design Technology Manager
    Stantec
    Opinions expressed are mine alone and do not reflect the views of Stantec.

I must be honest, that's one of the main reasons why I am running for this board, to break AUGI from the status quo that has gripped some of the members.

If there were assets put to bear to place AUGI volunteer instructors in front of people that would be the best way to be involved in education.

Shy of putting on AUGI's own conferences, I believe that the type of training that AUGI can provide is more discrete, by giving a central place to share ideas, etc.

There is a lot of content within AUGI and many possibilities around this idea of Discrete Education, we (AUGI) simply needs a vision as to what that could look like...that's what I will bring.