Thread: Ordinate dimensions in baseview

Login to Give a bone

Default Ordinate dimensions in baseview

I can not seem to set my orgin in the base view to my object. When I set it in the paperspace or in the model it still gives my zero dimension a value it should not.

Looking for some help

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Ordinate dimensions in baseview

OK so this post has been up for 6+ weeks and know one has any answers for me. Maybe you don't understand my problem.

I used to run AutoCAD 2007 and did all my design in 3D then would use SOLVIEW/SOLDRAW to build my detailed drawings in the layout tabs. Using this method my model space would be overrun by dimensions and I would have numerous DIM,HID,&VIS layers. But I could set my UCS origin to a corner of my object and pull ORDINATE DIMENSIONS off of my object to keep my prints less cluttered.

Today I am running AutoCAD Mechanical 2012 using pretty much the same tools to design my models. Now when I go to detail them in the layout tabs there is this great tool called BASEVIEW in the annotate ribbon. I love this tool because it keeps my Model space clean of any dimensions and only adds 2-4 layers for visible and hidden lines. The only down fall is because I am not dimensioning my drawing in the model space the ORDINATE DIMENSION does not seem to work nor can I find anything on how to set my origin point in this view.

This is where I need your help, I hope I spelled this out clear enough so everyone understands my pain

Login to Give a bone

set the ucs origin base point in model space then go back to paper space and dimension using ords... worked for me. Let me know. thanks

Login to Give a bone

Ok, so I started using the "Multiple Dimension" tool to use the ordinate dimensions when using the base view tool. This seems to work pretty good except a few small issues.
    1. when selecting centermarks for holes the dimension always comes up in full scale instead of the view's scale. Not to big of an issue just have to select the dim and change it's Linear Scale.
    2. when dimensioning edges of a piece I have to draw a temporary line to select to dimension from then have to do the issue #1 again.

It just seems that I would be able to select edges or holes with this tool to make dimensioning that much easier.