Thread: Elevators W/ Entries On Opposite Sides

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Elevators W/ Entries On Opposite Sides

Hey gang,
    I've got an elevator that only makes two stops, first floor and second floor. I need the doors to be on opposite sides for those stops. So basically, first floor the door is on the west (or front) side, second floor the door is on the east (or back) side. I have not found an elevator family that can do this. Can anyone help me out?

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Elevators W/ Entries On Opposite Sides

We have a way of doing elevators, but it has nothing to do with a single family for all stops. We use two different families for our elevators: one amounts to a door and shows the cab in plan, the second is a "shaft" that goes the full height of the elevator. In your case, we would insert two, one on the 1st floor and one on the second floor, then we would have the "shaft" that goes from bottom to top. The advantage of this is that the doors are on floors with stops (if you need to skip a floor) and the shaft shows an "X" the size of the shaft and can be tagged on any floor. Attached are the families we typically use (the Elevator.rfa is something we got somewhere, at some point, so I can't take credit for it, but the Elevator Shaft.rfa is a family I created and we now use it regularly). Note that in the Elevator Shaft family, there is a solid extrusion for the volume of the shaft. We use this for diagrams, so that we can change the color of the extrusion for each elevator to show a 3D diagram for multiple programmatic functions. It is on it's own subcategory so you can always turn it off if you don't want to see it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

All AUGI, all the time TerribleTim's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Thanks for the input Damon,
    That's sort of the theory I was thinking would work best. My issue is that in this case we have a glass wall in front of the elevator with a glass wall on the cab itself and my PM wants to be able to see it in 3D and look into and out of the cab. Your setup seems perfect for the plan issues but you have no actual cab in your model, right? Maybe I can combine something that has a cab in your shaft family. That might be the answer I'm looking for.

Again, thanks for the post Damon!

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

At one point I did have a cab in my shaft model and it could move up or down with a parameter. It was fine, but I didn't need it. I think that that sounds like a good solution for you. You could show it only in section, elevation, and 3D and hide it in plan.