Thread: Nesting Families

Login to Give a bone

Default Nesting Families

Hey everyone,

One day, I'd like to contribute advice... sadly that day hasn't come just yet. I've found myself running into a road block when attempting to create a "Super Door" using Nested Families. My attempt was to create a frame profile with text backing allowing the drafters at my job to select from a 4 door types (single, double, double egress and double uneven) and the load Frames (rabbetted frame, double rabbet, egress and double egress) and door panels to be manipulated in the Door's Properties.

The Problem I've run into is the Panels not adjusting with the door frame. I applied the appropriate flex parameters, and it works as a single unit, but I can't seem to duplicate that success when I bring it in to the host family. Interestingly, it comes in at the proper size, but if I try to adjust the opening the door panel remains the same size(evenly spaced between the frame), and if I expand the wall, the model becomes unstable and deletes itself from it's original position on the wall.

I also tried to drop the panel into the host family outside of a project, and it doesn't want to flex within that model either. I feel like I'm insanely close and just missing a step.

Thanks everyone, your feedback is greatly appreciated.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Nesting Families

You're going to need to post the family... I can't quite follow you without it.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Check the nesting process again. It seems that parameters of panel family is not connected in host family.

LJU

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by greg.mcdowell View Post
    You're going to need to post the family... I can't quite follow you without it.
    Hopefully these help. I loaded the Host Family, and one of the families(flush w/lite) I would like to nest in there. Currently, the family has 3 nested families(Family 06, Flush, Flush w/lite) loaded in it. Graphically, it functions just fine in plan, but once in 3D, I can only seem to alter the opening and not the panel.

I feel that once I figure out this slight issue, I can fully evolve that family to the potential I'd like it to reach.

Thanks all
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by ljupadhyay View Post
    Check the nesting process again. It seems that parameters of panel family is not connected in host family.

LJU
    I'll admit, I have only been working in families since June and this is my first true adventure into a family of this complexity (the most complex being a dining set with an array of chairs), however... I feel like when I tried to use shared parameters, there was a disconnect.

I could be wrong (I'm sure I am), but I attempted to connect the associated parameters in the Family Editor by highlighting the nested family (panel) that was loaded into the Host Family, then selected the "Associate Family Parameter" within the Panel's "Type Properties." However, I didn't notice a desirable outcome.

I'm sure it's operator error, but I can't quite figure out what I could be doing differently.

You're feedback is greatly appreciated.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

ljupadhyay has it right... you haven't hooked up the nested families parameters (where they exist) to those of the host family

First you'll need to make your door panels/leafs parametric (instance or type shouldn't matter as long as you're consistent). Load the nested family into the host and then find the parameters you created in the nested family (by either selecting the placed family and looking at its instance parameters, or going through the family list in your Project Browser and editing the nested family type for type parameters). There is a little box to the far right of the parameter name. Clicking it brings up a dialog of available host family parameters. Selecting the appropriate one from the list (width for width, etc.) will link them such that a change at the host level will affect the nested family.

Login to Give a bone

I wanted to thank everyone... it was a tedious project but I accomplished exactly what I set out to. You could say it turned out even more functional than my office actually wanted, but I'm very pleased with the outcome. I think anyone who is starting out with Revit should pull off a "Super Door," it immediately will raise your understanding of Revit and stretch your ability to think creatively with in Revit's parameters. I included two links that I found most helpful.

http://www.augi.com/library/super-fa...a-kit-of-parts
    http://www.sloarch.com/2009/10/revit...ormula-basics/

I did discover strengths, weaknesses, and the fine line between patience and frustration. If you have an intern and want to see how they'll do... this project is a microcosm for their work ethic