Thread: Questions on linking RS to RISA

Login to Give a bone

Question Questions on linking RS to RISA

Sorry for the silly question(s) but it isn't obviouse to me.
    I looked in the Reivt help files and here in AUGI for info too.

How do you link (or import?) a RISA model into Revit Structure?

The Revit help menu talks about all the benefits linking the models, and then gives you a link to RISA.
    the link appears that you need to download a program from RISA?

Is this true?
    I was just assuming (or hoping) that I could simply insert a link to the model without any special 3rd party software.

Any more information on the subject for someone who has no idea?

Thanks.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Questions on linking RS to RISA

On Risa's website you should fine the link to revit add-in. You need to have Revit and Risa both installed. I'm not sure if you can go from floor to Revit, but I know you can go from Risa 3d to revit. There's a few things that won't come it. Also be sure that you're risa model was set up for inches and not feet. If done with decimal feet, you're going to have errors all over the place due to rounding errors. Risa looks at 3'-4" as 3.33 feet and not 3.3333333333333333 feet if you get my drift. Same goes for elevations. In my dealings with it, it's almost better to start with a revit model and send that to risa. I'm also not sure how much I'd try to do with the "round Trip" idea.
    Hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Login to Give a bone

Yes, You will have to download that add-on and install it for using the ling to/from revit to risa model. We are using this and having this add-on to our machines

Login to Give a bone

Thanks everyone, I will look into the RISA download.
    And talk to the SE's about the RISA unit thing.

Login to Give a bone

Ok 5 years later from my original post, and now getting back into trying to do this.

Working in Revit Structure 2017 and Risa 3D with their Add-on for importing/exporting models.

Does anyone have any experience with exporting/importing Revit structure models to Risa 3D?
    We're just getting into this, and we have made some progress using the analytical model in Revit with the Risa Add-in.

One of the problems we're finding is that the analytical model "nodes" aren't connected as they should be.
    Like beams or braces either aren't connected, or not at the same location (centroid of the members not at the same point)
    And so we have to drag and snap lots of nodes together.

Surely there's a better way to build the Revit model so it looks right and you don't need to adjust the analytical model separately too.
    It could be a setting in Revit?, I looked at the Structural settings for Analytical Models, but I'm not sure what some of them mean.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Hi Ted,
    We ran away from those and went with the new Tekla version. Seems to do a really good job. You can push and pull the model in both directions. The engineer using it was used to using Ram and Risa. Some things he loves about (no extra nodes I guess) but the files sizea are a little large. Might be worth a look for you.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by david_peterson View Post
    Hi Ted,
    We ran away from those and went with the new Tekla version. Seems to do a really good job. You can push and pull the model in both directions. The engineer using it was used to using Ram and Risa. Some things he loves about (no extra nodes I guess) but the files sizea are a little large. Might be worth a look for you.
    Thanks Dave,
    Unfortunately that choice is out of my hands, I believe the SE's are using Risa and don't intend on changing any time soon.
    I can pass on your info but I don't think it will go anywhere.

Any thoughts/remedies on my particular situation?

Login to Give a bone

I'm just thinking out loud here.
    I know when we went to revit we did a lot of modifications to the families so they would display correctly.
    I know Adesk made a bunch of changes to the families in 2016 I think for their new connections.
    I'm wondering if that's part of the problem.
    I think the major under laying issue is that companies like Risa are usually a year behind Autodesk.
    But that's just my guess. I stopped looking at that stuff a while ago.
    When my SE's said that Risa floor didn't do what Ram did and Ram stopped all development for it.....I stopped thinking about it.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tedg View Post
    Ok 5 years later from my original post, and now getting back into trying to do this.

Working in Revit Structure 2017 and Risa 3D with their Add-on for importing/exporting models.

Does anyone have any experience with exporting/importing Revit structure models to Risa 3D?
    We're just getting into this, and we have made some progress using the analytical model in Revit with the Risa Add-in.

One of the problems we're finding is that the analytical model "nodes" aren't connected as they should be.
    Like beams or braces either aren't connected, or not at the same location (centroid of the members not at the same point)
    And so we have to drag and snap lots of nodes together.

Surely there's a better way to build the Revit model so it looks right and you don't need to adjust the analytical model separately too.
    It could be a setting in Revit?, I looked at the Structural settings for Analytical Models, but I'm not sure what some of them mean.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Maybe you can post which ones you don't understand? Just an idea.

RISA does offer very good support via e-mail and phone. When I was playing around with the RISA-Revit link I never worried about the analytical model in Revit. I would guess that the elements where not modeled to the correct workplane or intersection. First thing that comes to my mind. Care to share some screen captures?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by tkunsman View Post
    Maybe you can post which ones you don't understand? Just an idea.

RISA does offer very good support via e-mail and phone. When I was playing around with the RISA-Revit link I never worried about the analytical model in Revit. I would guess that the elements where not modeled to the correct workplane or intersection. First thing that comes to my mind. Care to share some screen captures?
    Well that's just it, If I place the framing elements to "look properly" in the Revit model, sometimes the connections points are wrong or not connected in the analytical model.
    If I adjust the analytical model framing members, they're usually ok, but sometimes a beam goes wonky or something.

It could be the particular project I'm working on, where some braces or members are outside the column/beam centers and such, and so they look right in the model, but the nodes are not connected in the analytical model.

We're trying to use the program(s) as they are intended, to cut down on modeling twice; one in Risa, one in Revit, and so we want the analytical model to be as right as possible.
    We assume there may be a bit of tweaking in the risa model, but don't want to have to do a lot.

I can't do a screen shot right now, but I hope that better explains the issue.