Thread: Workflow intro?

Login to Give a bone

Default Workflow intro?

All the offices I've worked in have only done the vanilla 2d cad w/ manual input for schedules, tags etc.

I'd like to get my feet wet with the advanced features, but there is a lot to absorb and
    I don't want the rest of the office to get frustrated, so I'd like either a piece-meal approach for 2d drawing
    Which features do you take advantage of? and are things like the project navigator worth it for 1 floor fit-outs?

Right now I am trying to get Room Finish & Door Schedules to auto-populate, but having problems.

1. So far I've taken my 2d plan, xref'd to a sheet, created space objects and anchored standard room tags to the space objects.
    When I generate the Room finish schedule it only adds one room with little information (ceiling height only)

2. I would also like to find a way to associate the door tag number with the space number.

Thanks for the help.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Workflow intro?

Quote Originally Posted by kkilcoyne007 View Post
    All the offices I've worked in have only done the vanilla 2d cad w/ manual input for schedules, tags etc.

I'd like to get my feet wet with the advanced features, but there is a lot to absorb and
    I don't want the rest of the office to get frustrated, so I'd like either a piece-meal approach for 2d drawing
    Which features do you take advantage of? and are things like the project navigator worth it for 1 floor fit-outs?
    We rarely build an entire 3D building model. On most projects, we are using Spaces, Walls, Doors, Column Grids, Columns, Ceiling Grids and, occasionally Windows to generate plan views. We also use Schedule Tags for room names and numbers, wall tags and door tags (room-number-based). On some projects, we also have included equipment content, tags and schedules. Interior and exterior elevations are largely still hand-drawn, as are wall sections and details. We do take advantage of the content in the Detail Component manager when appropriate, for embellishing 2D details.

Right now I am trying to get Room Finish & Door Schedules to auto-populate, but having problems.

1. So far I've taken my 2d plan, xref'd to a sheet, created space objects and anchored standard room tags to the space objects.
    When I generate the Room finish schedule it only adds one room with little information (ceiling height only)
    Sounds good. You can also place the Space objects directly in the plan file. I assume that your Room Finish Schedule is an ACA Schedule Table. Is the Schedule Table in the same file as the Spaces? If so, when you place the table, you are prompted to select objects. Are you selecting all of them, or just one?

When you say "little information", does the Schedule Table only contain one column, for ceiling height, or are you getting all of the expected columns, but with question marks for the data? If the latter, and if you are using an out-of-the-box Schedule Table Style for this, chances are the problem is that you have not attached the Property Set Definitions to your Space objects (and, possibly, Space Styles). This usually is taken care of when you tag the Space, but depending upon the exact content you are using for both Schedule Tag and Schedule Table, you may still be missing some things. If the Schedule Table is in the same file as your Spaces, you can select the Schedule Table, and, on the Schedule Table contextual ribbon tab, on the Modify panel, select the Add All Property Sets tool to add all of the Property Sets that the Schedule Table references to all of the objects in the Schedule Table's selection set.

2. I would also like to find a way to associate the door tag number with the space number.
    If you are using an AEC object for the Doors (such as an ACA Door object), you can use a Location property in an object-based Property Set Definition to read in the value of a property, such as the room number, that is attached to a particular Space object. Once a Property Set is attached to the Door, it will sprout a new, four-pointed star grip, with a tail that runs back to the Door object origin. You can move this grip and place it over the desired Space object (if it does not end up there by default).

The Schedule Feature is one of the more powerful features in ACA. If you are interested in understanding it better, you may find the resources listed in this blog article of some use:
    http://architects-desktop.blogspot.c...resources.html
    Unless you are using the 2013 release, the Schedule Feature has not had many changes since the 2007 release, and much of the referenced material is still applicable. Even in the 2013 release, the changes are additive, and the basic concepts and procedures in the older articles will still apply (with the occasional interface change, if you go way back).

And you can always post back here if you have additional questions or need more detail.

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Workflow intro?

Thanks for your help. It's all very helpful. I haven't sorted out most of my mishaps but I did get the room finish schedule to populate after I set the whole thing up us a new project under the project browser, which I'm hoping isn't necessary.

It was the latter regarding the schedules and I think you are right about the property set data.