Thread: Circuited elements slow to edit

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Circuited elements slow to edit

The issue I'm dealing with is once everything in a small to medium size model has been circuited the elements are very slow to respond to edits. This is only the case with the elements on a circuit. For example, 2 pieces of mechanical equipment side by side, one is circuited the other is not, the un-circuited one is easily moved to a new location but the other one takes ~30 seconds to perform the same move. Any idea what's going on and how to speed this thing up?

Other useful notes:
    File size is about 120MB, linked models total another 160MB.
    We're using shared worksets, and I'm the only one in the model.
    I've tried deleting the electrical connections upstream - first remove the Main Distribution Panel (no speed increase), next the actual panel the circuits are part of (small speed increase), last remove the circuit entirely (huge speed increase).
    This issue is not isolated to any one panel (there are about 10 in the project), or to any one circuit.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Circuited elements slow to edit

You may try turning load calcs off in electrical settings.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, but that is already off. Sorry, I should have included that in my notes above.

Revit Forum Manager Steve_Stafford's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

The more things are connected the more Revit is tasked with keeping track of. When everything is circuited and we "just" move equipment, it isn't trivial. Revit recalculates circuit length, voltage drop, wire size, panel information and so on. It would be great if it was instantaneous, but at this point it isn't.

There have been other reports of hosted elements becoming un-hosted or not associated and affecting circuiting and rehosting panels. Perhaps there is something more involved at the core of it all, I suggest giving Autodesk your file to examine and see if the developers can identify places where they can improve performance, though they are always looking for that.

Login to Give a bone

Thanks, Steve. I suspect that the voltage drop and wire size calcs may be slowing things down so much. Since the total length of the circuit changes when moving an object, that would affect those 2 calculations. Is there any way to turn off those calcs?

I suppose the reason this stands out to me now is that on my last project I didn't notice this issue. The project was nearly double the size of this one, too.