Thread: Model lines in detail components

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Model lines in detail components

Why are there model lines in detail components? This seems like an oxymoron since detail components only show up in the view they are placed in (or has this changed?). Perhaps it is me. You only have one way to draw a line that I have found, but you can convert lines between symbolic and model. To make things more confusing, when you hover over a line, it just says "line". I've been making some detail components from cleaned-up CAD block but importing the CAD file, exploding and purging- could this be the issue?

Any elucidation would be appreciated.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Model lines in detail components

There are no model lines in detail components.
    Model files can contain model lines (lines visible in 3D) and detail lines (view specific lines only visible in the views in which they are placed).
    Loadable families (not detail components) can contain model lines (lines visible in 3D) and symbolic lines (lines that are view orientation specific e.g. if placed in plan they won't be seen in elevation views)
    Detail components can only contain detail lines (yes they are called LINES in the family editor). Since detail components are by definition 2D view specific elements the lines within them are also only visible.
    The exploded lines (if exploded in a DC) will still never be model lines (visible in 3D)
    I think this post needs more text in parentheses (you know, not brackets but the simple arc ones)

Login to Give a bone

Desktop2.PNGDesktop1.PNGThanks for the response. I'm attaching a couple of images to show what I mean. These are taken while editing a detail component. Does Is Revit doing anything when the convert lines is selected? Does it matter? I'm only concerned because when I added the parameter, I got a message that adding a perimeter to a detail component with so many lines would slow Revit and I want to make detail components as stream-lined as possible.

Certifiable AUGI Addict Dimitri Harvalias's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Okay, technically Revit considers those as 'lines' because they are exploded dwg line elements. When the family is placed in the project those lines will still be view specific. Select one of the dwg lines and you'll notice its properties say it is a 'line'. If you create a line using the LINE tool and look at its properties it's classified as a 'detail line' by Revit.
    You can't 'create' lines in a detail component but I guess they can exist.
    That said, I would strongly suggest that you don't use the lines in that exploded dwg (if that's your intent). Import the dwg, don't explode it, trace over the existing lines with detail lines and only add what you really need. Once yu do the tracing get rid of the dwg. Keep it as simple as it needs to be to communicate intent and leave all the detail to shop drawings. Just my 2 cents