Thread: Revit needs to have dimension to center of arc, circle/tube's edge

I could stop if I wanted to Richard McCarthy's Avatar

Default Revit needs to have dimension to center of arc, circle/tube's edge

Revit needs to have dimensioning to center of arc / circle / tube's edge, etc etc.
    Right now it's kinda fiddily.....

Default Re: Revit needs to have dimension to center of arc, circle/tube's edge

I'm not sure what's fiddly about it.

1. Pick arc, circle etc . Temporary radial dimension appears. Pick to make permanent. ( = 2 clicks )

or

2. DI ( shortcut dimension key ) . Select Radial Dimension button. Place radial dimension. ( = 3 clicks, counting the keyboard shortcut as one )

Seems quite fast to me.

Or to dimesion out the centre point. select the object (wall or line), go to its properties, tick show centre point then dimension to this...

HTH.
    Chris Price
    Co-Founder/BIM Manager/Product Designer
    Xrev Pty Ltd

Revit Rants BLOG

Yes, by picking "make permanent symbol" when the temporary dimension appears from the centre mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spot
    >>>> then dimension to this...
    HTH.

I could stop if I wanted to Richard McCarthy's Avatar

My apology, I didn't explain it well, what i mean is to dimension to the model's edge.
    One example is disabled toilet hand rails. You can't dimension to the 'tip' of the hand rail (half spherical part...) or the edge of the rail (because it's a 3 dimensional model and Revit somehow have hard time pick up those fiddily edges even though you are in plans, elevations or section)

As long as you start the dimension from a plane parallel and orthogonal to the plane on the curved model to which you want to dimension and provided the model has a reference plane defined at the point at which you wish to dimension, you shouldn't have a problem.

If the model of a grab rail was created with reference planes only at its centre point, you will not be able to dimension to its face. You can easier fix that though by adding those RP's to the family.

In a different vein. I believe we need a dimension tool that let's us dimension arcs parallel to each other. Or is there a way we can do that already, too?

Do you mean like this, Trent ?

Quote Originally Posted by Trent Piazzoni
    In a different vein. I believe we need a dimension tool that let's us dimension arcs parallel to each other. Or is there a way we can do that already, too?
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's good thought but what about parallel arcs not at quad points? I've been having dimension streets lately and the lack of this feature is drive me nuts.

Yes, that could be improved. Currently you must place detail linework to dim to, then make those construction lines invisible.