Thread: A couple Duct Lining question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Login to Give a bone

Default A couple Duct Lining question

Is there a way to only line a certain length of a duct instead of the whole thing? I'm assuming not. But often times we will call for lining a duct to 10' from a RTU or something. So for example, say there was a straight line of 50' of duct from a RTU and I only wanted to line 10' of that duct, instead of selecting the entire duct and having to line the whole thing, what I've been doing is breaking the duct at 10' so that it creates a "transition". This allows me to select that 10' piece to line it. Has anybody ran into this? Is there a better way of doing it?

Also, I noticed if you select a duct that has lining and you want to hide in view, the duct will hide but the lining remains. It then does not allow you to even select the lining itself to hide. I don't want to turn off duct insulation as there are other lined ducts in the view that I want shown. In this particular job I have a solution using a plan region, however I feel that this will come up again in the future and it would be nice to have a better work around. Any ideas?

Thanks

100 Club
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: A couple Duct Lining question

For the first part I think you are doing it right. Generally there are set lengths of ducts that can be manufactured (a maximum of about 1400mm length over here depending on manufacturer - so about 4-5 foot in the old scale?) so when installed there will be a piece with lining then a transition to non lined ductwork.

The non hidden lining (and insulation) as far as I know can only be fixed by doing the following, in the correct order.

1. Select ductwork you want to hide.
    2. Pick "Edit Lining/ Insulation".
    3. Hide Elements.
    4. Reselect Ductwork.
    5. Hide Elements.

If you hide the ductwork before the Lining/ Insulation then you are right in that your only option is to turn off insulation and or lining.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

If you just use "SPLIT ELEMENT" (not "split with gap") it seems to work.
    Duct size doesn't change. System is maintained but you can vary the insulation (or have no insulation on one side) either side of the split.
    Is that what you're after??

Login to Give a bone

daniel.morrison - Thank you that is what I'm looking for, I guess it didn't occur to me that you would have to be in the lining/insulation editor to be able to do that. Makes sense I guess.

Michael.c - That is the way I've been doing it. I was just curious if anybody did it differently but it seems to be the best way to go, so I will continue to do so. Thank you.

All AUGI, all the time JoelLondenberg's Avatar
    Login to Give a bone

Don't forget to up-size the sheet metal to account for the same inside free area after you add lining.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by jlondenberg View Post
    Don't forget to up-size the sheet metal to account for the same inside free area after you add lining.
    Why can't Revit do that for us?
    With all the other things I have to worry about, why should I have to remember to do this? Frequently I do forget and it's a pain in the butt!
    why can't Revit indicate the airway size rather than the metal size?
    Or better still, give us a choice of either?