Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reduce geometry in 3d blocks imported from solidworks

Login to Give a bone

Default Reduce geometry in 3d blocks imported from solidworks

Hello.
    in my 3d layout im using couple of blocks imported from Solidworks , the blocks are very heavy due to geometry (i assume) , how can i reduce their geometry or convert them to a simpler shape? (some of the block have thousands of lines, fillets etc...) (im using i7-3770 with Firepro v5900 so i think it should handle large assemblies ).

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Reduce geometry in 3d blocks imported from solidworks

Quote Originally Posted by alongrey373743 View Post
    Hello.
    in my 3d layout im using couple of blocks imported from Solidworks , the blocks are very heavy due to geometry (i assume) , how can i reduce their geometry or convert them to a simpler shape? (some of the block have thousands of lines, fillets etc...) (im using i7-3770 with Firepro v5900 so i think it should handle large assemblies ).

Thanks
    Do you need internal detail? Do you need individual objects within the block? Do you need holes, fillets, etc.?
    You could Union separate parts, place a solid inside that fills voids and Union that with the existing geometry.
    It all depends on what you've got and what you actually need.

Login to Give a bone

i just need the surface geometry i dont care whats inside the part . i build water systems in 3d and it contains parts from the manufactures , the problem is that their product blocks sometimes are very heavy .
    "You could Union separate parts, place a solid inside that fills voids and Union that with the existing geometry" , i didn't actually understand what you mean .the problem is the part himself. every time i use command like , copy mirror and other common ones i move the cursors over those blocks (not all of them of-course) the computer is going crazy and get stuck for a while , its isn't smooth.

thanks again

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

We have similar problems, but the solution is simple. We use boxes to approximate the object envelope, then gradually union/subtract shapes to get a good compromise between design data and productivity. In a lot of cases a single box representing the exterior envelope is sufficient, with lines or circles used to indicate connection locations. Designers don't care if there's a slight dip in the middle, or if the sides aren't solid - it doesn't affect their design work.

We keep the detailed models, though, and load them up in Navisworks for model reviews while hiding the stand-in equipment.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by alongrey373743 View Post
    i just need the surface geometry i dont care whats inside the part . i build water systems in 3d and it contains parts from the manufactures , the problem is that their product blocks sometimes are very heavy .
    "You could Union separate parts, place a solid inside that fills voids and Union that with the existing geometry" , i didn't actually understand what you mean .the problem is the part himself. every time i use command like , copy mirror and other common ones i move the cursors over those blocks (not all of them of-course) the computer is going crazy and get stuck for a while , its isn't smooth.

thanks again
    Then you need to edit the block itself. Either use BEdit within the arrangement drawing or save the block to a separate file if it isn't already in a separate file.
    Either way, use the solids editing commands to reduce the complexity and save the modified block to a new name (so that the complex block is still available in the future).

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by dgorsman View Post
    We have similar problems, but the solution is simple. We use boxes to approximate the object envelope, then gradually union/subtract shapes to get a good compromise between design data and productivity. In a lot of cases a single box representing the exterior envelope is sufficient, with lines or circles used to indicate connection locations. Designers don't care if there's a slight dip in the middle, or if the sides aren't solid - it doesn't affect their design work.

We keep the detailed models, though, and load them up in Navisworks for model reviews while hiding the stand-in equipment.
    i didnt understand exactly how you do it .. i know the commands (union.. subtract) but didnt understand how you create the surface of an object when you subtract it from a box.
    can you direct me to an example?

thanks

Login to Give a bone

post an example .dwg block.

Login to Give a bone

the block size is around 7mb (couldnt upload it) . please download rfom the link :
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bxe...DZWNFVCcUxESmc

Login to Give a bone

Is this enough detail?

112_jab.png
    Attached Files Attached Files

Login to Give a bone

wow ! this is perfect . the file size reduced from 7mb to 257kb. thats exactly what i was looking for .
    can you direct me to instruction or give me more detail how to do it right. (sorry for my english, not my mother language)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast