Thread: Extend one layer of exterior wall?

Login to Give a bone

Question Extend one layer of exterior wall?

I have a wall type that is 4" of brick on 10" of concrete. I need only the brick layer to extend past the concrete layer 2" at windows. Is there a way to do this? The only thing I can think of is to make the brick and concrete two separate walls.

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Extend one layer of exterior wall?

This will actually be defined in the window family. In the window family file, edit the wall type to match what is in the project. If the window is using an Opening Cut, delete it. You will need to use void geometry instead (you can't use both an Opening Cut *and* void geometry - you have to choose one or the other). If this is your first dive into editing families, you have my condolences (been there, done that, got the t-shirt). Windows are among the more difficult of families to work with. Feel free to ask questions, and don't give up! .-)

Login to Give a bone

I have multiple wall types this window will be inserted into. Will I have to make a separate window family for each wall type?

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by emnight87 View Post
    I have multiple wall types this window will be inserted into. Will I have to make a separate window family for each wall type?
    No, if you paramatize the window properely with ones for the depth of the wall finish, etc you can create seperate types of windows within that one family to accomplish what you want.

Login to Give a bone

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Kohl View Post
    No, if you paramatize the window properely with ones for the depth of the wall finish, etc you can create seperate types of windows within that one family to accomplish what you want.
    Exactly. One thing that really helps is to create two initial reference planes, locking one to the exterior and one to the interior face of the wall, and building your parameters off those planes, rather than the face of the wall itself. Not sure why, but I seem to have encountered fewer issues this way. Plus, depending on the specific differences from one wall type to another, you might not even need a separate type in the window family, and just let the interior face of wall flex it for you.