Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Site Tools

Default Re: Site Tools

Having site tools for a small office building or small development may come in handy for presentation capability. But when it comes to needing to know water flow, sewer, water and grade changes that is where Civil3D would come into play. So there is no reason to have a Revit Site or Civil since that already exists in Civil3D.
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

All AUGI, all the time BillyGrey's Avatar

I don't think that any of the folks requesting site tools are requesting large scale tools at all. If you have been on this board for any time, or researched the subject in depth within the Revit community, it is easy to see that those desiring it, are requesting localized site modeling capabilities. And this is not simply for presentations; I can pull off a kick azz presentation using in-place families or even stacked floor plates

As for the civil engineers, they already have enough wonderful and robust tools to choose from. As for the rest of us, to simply run out and purchase any of the types of programs, cost factors excluded, would be like using a nuclear weapon to kill a snake in the grass.

We are not asking for much, and it does not bear repeating here what we have many times before requested. Just read the threads.

All AUGI, all the time BillyGrey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AP23 View Post
    Wes, can you give us a general explenation for what you think Revit Architecture is designed for? This will prevent many frustrations in the future.
    Interesting provocation...

I wonder if Revit Architecture would be better represented if it were re-named "Revit Building"?

Hardy-Ho

I mean really, while I attended Uni, we did everything from planning to detailing toilet rooms.
    And then there was the all important term "siting the structure".

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGrey View Post
    I wonder if Revit Architecture would be better represented if it were re-named "Revit Building"?
    Hmmm, a conundrum.

If Autodesk keeps it as Revit Architecture then they can try and justify the absence of those important buildings components like structure and MEP because it's now focused on architectural design, but Autodesk will have to consider improving site tools.

But... renaming it back to Revit Building would imply the structure and MEP tools are included, but wouldn't necessarily imply site tools.

It's amazing how changing the name of a product can help justify taking development focus away from certain tools.

All AUGI, all the time clog boy's Avatar

Wes, you also set me straight. But I still think Revit is a heavy giant hardly able to change course or pace, let alone adapt to it's ever changing surroundings. I make it sound like a badly modelled World of Warcraft-monster, but I think you get the point. Revit is amongst the least customizable CAD-programs I ever worked with or heard off (correct me if I'm wrong). There's no such thing as tailor made features for Revit, while competitive BIM programs leave space for such requests. Furthermore I don't feel thankful at all for a grocery store to sell goods; they must make a living as well after all.

Don't worry, I'll get back on topic right now. Revit isn't designed to create golf courses, and I don't think anyone would use Revit for such a task. Nor would people use Revit to create city maps or other such big scale projects.
    People use Revit to create buildings, be it small, large, one or many. But we're also interested in how our building affects the immediate surroundings. People will need to know how much square feet to excavate, how deep their foundations should be for them to reach solid ground, and what angle and length a sewage pipe should be to reach the main sewer. We don't want to use 2D-lines for our sewage plans, just like a building doesn't stop at ground level.
    The part of a building below ground level is just as hard to design, yet we lack sufficient tools to do so (yet).

If Autodesk is creating or selling a tool to get this done, then all I'm asking for is better interoperability between Autodesk products. It would be even better to purchase a 'lite' version of that product, and use it as a plugin like Accurenderer.
    Last edited by clogboy; 2007-09-07 at 06:55 AM.

*BUMP* - this never went away.

100 Club

In simple terms, what I would like to see in Revit are tools similar to what is included in Eaglepoint's "Siteworks™ for Revit". I would love tools like that, but can't justify $1995 on top of the cost per seat for Revit.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910