Thread: Increase Units Accuracy when editing in Revit

Wish List Administration

Default Increase Units Accuracy when editing in Revit

Summary: I am annoyed that revit can not deal with moving or editing objects when small units of measure are required. eg under 0.6mm. (Element is too small on screen) error.

Description: Why must I have to move an object a greater distance away from where it has been placed to allow me to correctly move it into position? Why does imported geometry disappear when trying to import into revit when the length of a line is under 0.6mm?
    Must we have to endure this annoyance much longer?

Product and Feature: Revit Architecture - Other

Submitted By: Ross Lamba on 01/01/2013

Default Re: Increase Units Accuracy when editing in Revit

While yes, this is an annoyance.....but when is .6mm a real issue when it comes to construction? I believe 25mm (1/4") is the norm for error for construction?
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

The problem is not so much the construction margins, but the programs inability to handle small units while editing, (moving, copying, importing, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by cdatechguy View Post
    While yes, this is an annoyance.....but when is .6mm a real issue when it comes to construction? I believe 25mm (1/4") is the norm for error for construction?
    6mm is 1/4", not 25mm...

Clever!

Quote Originally Posted by eeblack View Post
    6mm is 1/4", not 25mm...

Clever!
    Must have been drinking....lol....yes, 6mm is 1/4"...
    Michael "MP" Patrick
    "I only drink :coffee: until it's acceptable to drink :beer: or :whiskey: or :wine:"

I find this is a massive issue with annotation components, because they are drawn at 1:1 printed scale, you can't draw symbols that look intricate.
    there are lots of symbols for lighting and electrical, fire and plumbing that we have always used in other programs that we just can't replicate in Revit due to this limitation, this inability means I can't have the same legend as the consultants.

another time this really becomes an issue is drawing a company logo as a filled region, try drawing a small letter "S" without a line less tha, 0.6mm
    (I know allot of people use images for there logo's, but these don't export to dwg correctly and when you want to issues drawings to consultants it is better to be able to have you drawing in tack and not have a piece of the titleblock missing).

I can't tell you how often this "bug" has caused me headaches over the years.

When the topic turns to accuracy, many architects immediately think construction accuracy. There, an eighth or quarter inch tolerance is acceptible. Why would I need something smaller? The answer lies in manufacturing accuracy. Many building assemblies are created in factories, not on site. In a factory, milling practices demand greater accuracy.

The one place where this limitation becomes truly serious is with aluminum extrusions used in curtainwall design. Open any aluminum manufacturer's catalog and try and draw one of their stock extrusions, with tiny radii, and you will see what I mean. This is one of those tasks many architects rarely have to handle, but when you are faced with creating 10 sheets of curtainwall details for a major tower, Revit quickly becomes an impediment. The last time I had to do this, I fortunately was still fluent in Acad, so I did the work there instead.

Without the tiny fillets, curtainwall details look terrible.
    Last edited by MikeJarosz; 2013-11-04 at 02:54 PM.