See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: XREF not bringing in layer settings

Login to Give a bone

Default XREF not bringing in layer settings

FIRST: VISRETAIN IS SET TO (1) IN EACH DRAWING.
    SECOND: "Retain changes to xref layers" is checked in Options
    THIRD: All drawings are xref'd in as ATTACHMENTS

So, I have a drawing file that is called xDim. In it, are 2 xref'd files; xAFP.dwg and xAFP-exist.dwg. xDim is a Dimension Plan (betcha couldn't guess that) that I have all the xAFP-exist layers turned to color 30 and all the furniture both existing and in the xAFP drawing frozen as well as all "demo" layers frozen.

When I try to xref xDim into a new drawing, ALL the layers come in in the state they were last saved in their respective drawings. So, for example,all the demo layers are thawed from the xAFP-exist drawing and all the layers from that drawing are in their original colors, not color 30 as they are set in xDim.

Am I imagining things?...but I thought that I could set xref layers in a drawing and then xref that drawing in and it would bring those settings. Is that not true?

FYI I am only xrefing in xDim into multiple sheets because it is too big to fit on one sheet...otherwise I'd just put the title block in that drawing. I don't want to have to set all my layers in each drawing I xref that into each time.

I am happy to look at other posts if you can direct me. My searches did not turn up this exact issue.

Thank you much!

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: XREF not bringing in layer settings

Quote Originally Posted by ron_hecht382200 View Post
    Am I imagining things?...but I thought that I could set xref layers in a drawing and then xref that drawing in and it would bring those settings. Is that not true?
    The behavior you are experiencing is normal... The VISRETAIN System Variable is only applicable within the drawing that hosts the external references, and has no control of the source drawing (i.e., the external reference).

If you want to change the external reference, and have that persist into other drawings that reference it, then you are relegated to either leaving the host drawing(s) VISRETAIN = 0, and changing the source drawing itself, or simply use Layer States.

HTH
    "How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Sincpac C3D ~ Autodesk Exchange Apps

Computer Specs:
    Dell Precision 3660, Core i9-12900K 5.2GHz, 64GB DDR5 RAM, PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD (RAID 0), 16GB NVIDIA RTX A4000

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: XREF not bringing in layer settings

Thanks for the reply. Was already starting to think that Layer States might be the answer. I tried to import the layer state (which I called xdim) from the xDim drawing but then I got a message "The selected layer states cannot be restored" I am assuming that is because the layer state I am trying to import is for drawings that are now nested one layer farther in...

I'll do some reading and experimenting. Thanks again.