Thread: ARX_ERROR: eNotThatKindOfClass causing problems, Autocad hangs when inserting or pasting entities

Login to Give a bone

Default ARX_ERROR: eNotThatKindOfClass causing problems, Autocad hangs when inserting or pasting entities

(Dear Forum Administrators: There are so many posts regarding this error message that it's become a real pain to find any answers - most of the replies say conduct a search (which I have done) or check this link (which turns out to be broken). Can you please find a way to consolidate the useful information somewhere it can be found? Clearly a lot of people have trouble with this issue. Thanks!)

I believe this ARX_ERROR: eNotThatKindOfClass message has to do with missing object enablers. How do I tell what's missing? More importantly how do I make it go away?
    We work on files received from lots of different clients and it's just not possible to direct them all to Export to Autocad rather than saving down. If we receive files that are 2007 or higher, we use DWGTrueView to convert to Autocad 2000. But it seems to me that the ARX_ERROR: eNotThatKindOfClass message sometimes appears after I have been working on a file for some time, presumably when something is inserted from another drawing.

Usually I ignore the ARX error messages and just keep working, but sometimes, after the ARX_ERROR message appears, I get drawing crashes when trying to insert blocks, and especially when cutting and pasting between drawings. I suspect that the missing enabler is the cause. When this happens the only way to transfer information between files is to make a block from the source file, xref the block into the file you want to transfer the info to, bind it and then explode it - all very time consuming not to mention the time and information lost when I forget to go through this roundabout process and land up hanging Autocad entirely.
    I have tried -audits with fixing errors, and -purges (including purging all RegApps) to no avail. I don't want to wblock the whole drawing because that loses a lot of xref and paperspace information I would then have to recreate.

Like another AUGI user, I believe this problem is spreading through our system. Can someone please tell me how to fix this?

Thanks!

I could stop if I wanted to
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: ARX_ERROR: eNotThatKindOfClass causing problems, Autocad hangs when inserting or pasting entities