Thread: Adding Instance Parameter to Revision Cloud Tags

Login to Give a bone

Unhappy Adding Instance Parameter to Revision Cloud Tags

We have a client who wants their RFI/ASI/PR PDF documents linked to their Revit models. We have to cloud the areas/components that the documents affect, and then provide a link to the document. So far, I have two options:

1. Cloud the areas and tag the clouds, then create a separate schedule with a listing of all RFI's/ASI's/Pr's and their associated links. Users would have to open the schedule and find the document name to open the actual PDF.

2. Cloud the areas and tag the clouds. Add a URL parameter to the cloud revision tag and allow the user to open the URL from the properties palette.

Option 2 would be preferable because the users would not have to open up a separate schedule, but I am having trouble with adding the parameters to the tags. Editing the tag family and adding the URL instance parameter is easy enough, but any instance parameters that I add to the tag will not display in the properties palette. The only way that I can add a URL parameter (or really any paramter) to the tag, is by making it a type parameter and opening the type proprties. The biggest problem with this is that I would need a separate type for every RFI/ASI/PR URL. Does anyone know if what I want to do is possible? Should I just make a schedule?

Certifiable AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adding Instance Parameter to Revision Cloud Tags

Most probably you're stuck with option 1. As usual Revit's got these gotcha's - as if the programmers had too much time on their hands and decided to remove features from some types of objects. Why a revision cloud tag can't work the same as any other tag is beyond comprehension, unless you're an ADesk programmer

This is a similar scenario to what I had previously: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.ph...visions-Sheets

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Adding Instance Parameter to Revision Cloud Tags

That's what I thought. I swear I will fix this with an add in one day (when I get time to familiarize myself with the Revit API). Until then, another option would be to just add an annotation and manually input the mark into the annotation. I can add an Instance URL to the annotation that comes up in the Properties Palette.

I think they don't work the same way because of the Revision Clouds. You can add parameters to model categories, but not to annotation categories. Revision clouds are the pretty much the only annotation category that can receive tags (that would make sense). I think the tags need to be able to see the instance parameter in the Revision Cloud for some reason. Maybe the tag's instance parameters are restricted to shared parameters, and an instance parameter added directly to the tag isn't recognized...