Thread: Element has become corrupt fatal error

Login to Give a bone

Default Element has become corrupt fatal error

We have a model in Revit 2012 that has multiple casework and furniture families in it (we are an interior design firm). We built everything we needed in Revit. Every time any team member touches a piece of casework for furniture a message pops up that says "element 2562301 has become corrupt at sometime before this session" and are prompted to a save recovery file before the model shuts down. The element number is the same every time regardless of which casework family touched. I have tried deleting elements and then purging the model but the purge prompts the same error message.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this previously? Do you have any ideas on how to fix it? We are in a little bit of a bind since we need to issue drawings on Friday. Any help will be appreciated.

AUGI Addict
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Element has become corrupt fatal error

Since you know the element ID, have you tried Select by ID? It may be part o the casework family, but maybe not. We've had problems with this error and the only way we've fixed it is to take a deep breath, let everybody pause for 30 minutes and have one person on the team actually find the offending element and delete it.

Manage tab > Select by ID, then look at the element's properties, see what it is, go to a view that shows it (may take some sleuthing). If it is an element that is easy to replace, delete it. If it is a wall with a lot of hosted elements, you may be able to copy it to another project file, delete it in the current file, then paste it back it.

PS - If you think it is the casework, have you tried creating a new project, inserting that casework and trying to reproduce the problem? Are any of the casework families wall or floor hosted?

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Element has become corrupt fatal error

I am having the same issue and believe the problem is with my outlets. At first I thought it was just one outlet, but then realized that not only was it multiple outlets, but multiple families (also always saying the same ID # has been corrupted). I receive the following error message upon clicking on the outlets, attempting to purge or audit the file, or trying to search for the corrupted item by element ID :

Element Corrupted

Element 6514558 became corrupt at some time before this session

To continue with this project, save a recovery file. In the recovery file, Revit will delete this element to fix the problem.

After I close that dialogue box, Revit prompts me to create a recovery file as it shuts down. I have tried to search by element for 6514558 in the recovery file, but as previously warned, the element does not exist. Please note that my outlets still exist in the recovery file, so I am not sure what has been deleted and whether or not it is important to my project.

I have tried to reproduce the problem by bringing the outlet families into a new project file, but all seems to work fine. I have done a purge and audit of the familiy and then replaced it in my project, but the problem still persists.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am trying to avoid having to delete every outlet in the project and replace them (to be honest, I dont think I'd even be able to delete them because clicking them prompts the file to fail); as well as avoiding this happening to any other aspects of the model.