See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Starting to Model Construction As-Built Model / Multi-Discipline Coordination Questions

Login to Give a bone

Default Starting to Model Construction As-Built Model / Multi-Discipline Coordination Questions

Hello all,

I am seeking advice on how to begin creating a construction model. I am relatively new to using revit making this a bit of a challenge. On the project I am currently working on I am receiving updated models from the Architect as they make changes to their model, however their model as a whole is not truly accurate and many construction details/information is left out. I have currently branched from the latest Architect model (creating a seperate copy) and I have began reviewing the model to insure its accuracy with the intent of updating the model for every ASI that comes out. I ran into a lot of issues getting the model going. Worksets created the bulk of the issue as the model was saved with worksets and i do not need them as i will be the only one in the model. I ended up having to remove them from central and relink the files after saving. A level of BIM has yet to be established from the owner. I also am receiving CAD Files from MEP, and Structural Steel, so I will be removing many files that are currently linked into the model from the architect/engineer and replacing them with "as-built models". I found a lot of good information online, however most of it didn't quite apply to my unique situation. As of now it looks like i will just be diving in and getting into the model to insure its accuracy. If anyone has been in this situation or has any advice that would be very helpful. But for now here are some of my main questions:
    - How do i go about establishing what level of model we can create?
    - The information I have found on BIM Levels is very vague. What exactly do i need to include in a Level 4/5?
    - Is it efficient to create a separate model to create a separate construction model?
    - Many things are detailed but not actually modeled, this is ussually because they are time intensive and extremely difficult to do. Do i need to be modeling all of these items?( Falls into the what exactly is required at each Level question)
    - How do i track and insure that my model is accurate/ up to date? I noticed I have caused other issues editing new issues.
    - I also am running into an issue with doubling up in the models.Ex: I have a Architectural and Structural model linked together and they both have structural walls modeled.Do I delete one?

- Do i just need to start over on this project and rebuild everything from scratch?I think it would be much easier to rebuild and start from scratch, however a lot of the modeling that was done is over my skill level and It would take me a very long time.

Where do I start?

I really could list these little questions for days. Unfortunately a lot of the information i have found is too vague or too big picture and doesnt get into the nut and bolts like I need.

Thanks

Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Starting to Model Construction As-Built Model / Multi-Discipline Coordination Questions

I don't envy you this task. It doesn't sound like the best project to learn Revit on, so good luck.

1: I'm not sure what you mean, but I'd ask whoever is paying you what it is they want and if they are willing to pay you to provide it.

2: http://www.out-law.com/en/topics/pro...ion-modelling/

I googled this.

3: Linking models depend on the complexity of the task in hand. Generally speaking, if its a 'campus' style project with separate buildings, you link them into a site file. Otherwise just one file.

4: This is a good one. The rule of thumb is, if you need to see it in 3D you model it, if its not, just make it 2D. This goes for WC's, kitchens, furniture, everything. Unless its going to be in a 3D view (and its not part of the structure), don't bother.

5: If you are taking information from various sources, there will no doubt be clashes.

6: I've never linked in a Revit structure model, but I'd assume if the steelwork for example is in the Structural model, you don't need to model it in the Architectural model.

7: Starting from scratch. Tough one. Time is money. If you have the time (and someone willing to pay you for that time) crack on. You will certainly learn a lot about Revit that way. The whole endeavour does strike me as a bit of a nightmare.

Woo! Hoo! my 1st post
    Login to Give a bone

Default Re: Starting to Model Construction As-Built Model / Multi-Discipline Coordination Questions

Wow. Sounds tough. I could write a book on this but have to get to work shortly.

The first thing you should do, if you haven't already, is request their BIM Execution Plan. The quality of these varies but it should include at least basic LOD, file management, standards, etc. Of course it's possible that they don't have one, which would be bad.

In any case it needs to be made very clear to everyone what is expected in and from the models. What they should include, how they are to be used and who is doing what. There should be someone who is in charge of all this. Talk to them.